PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hey everyone,
Just a quick note to let you know that flu season is officially here. We do rapid flu testing in my lab and I am seeing LOTS of positives now. A small bottle of hand sanitizer kept in the vehicle and used after being in public areas such as malls and grocery stores goes a long way to ward it off.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Got me a flu shot again this year. Feel good but know the CIA and FBI can track me now. Time to put on the tin foil hat :rofl: ...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Don't forget to make them for your pets as well! :rofl:
foilhat-99x150.jpg

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Man, we were seeing flu up here in Washington State back in October. Though my information comes from my Peds clinic. Children seem to catch the stuff before the adults do. Mainly because of the incubator called public school

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I went down with the flue for the entire month of December. Still got sores from my experience on my poor nose and that was with the flue shot in October.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Dang Eric .. a month long bout?
Sorry brother, that is the f-word for you then!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Eric, that's a month of flu, with the flu shot. The CDC people who do the annual flu vaccines

ought to check that out. Someone approximated the strain of flu wrong. I guess I'll still get

the flu shot. I'm in the age group worst affected, but I hope the vaccine is at least somewhat

correct for some of the active strains. One of the senior scientists at NIH who had spent many

years working on vaccines said she'd never get a flu shot; go figure. I'd like to think that after

years of flu shots, I'm protected against many different strains, but that's the epitome of wishful

thinking. I still think it was smart of you to get the flu shot, and hope you won't abandon the

practice. It's never a guarantee, but still improves your chances. Hope you're feeling better, and

that the new year brings best of health.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
My wife had it the start of September, it was 6 weeks before she felt like herself again. Of course, I got it in the middle of September and it was 5 weeks before I was my sweet, crabby self again. Now the wife's sister has it and is going on her 4th week.
This stuff starts out terrible, slow to recover, with lots of ups and downs. We all had our flu shots since we are "mature adults", but this strain seems to be pretty wicked. I feel for anyone that gets it, but if you have children, be sure to let them recover before sending back to school or they'll have a relapse.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Mso, when I didn't have the flu shot, I had it for 3 months straight. Just a month and a half is a dramatic improvement for me. I also was just really lethargic with a cough and lots of tissues, my throat wasn't sore once. When I didn't have the flue shot, I felt so much worse!
I never get sick once during the warm season, but when it becomes winter time, I spend the whole winter sick pretty much. I think the combination of extreme humidity and cold is just really bad for the human body.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
It is a bad strain for sure. Seems like it is everywhere. My wife has had it now for a couple of weeks. I went to the store for some medicine and at the local grocery store , the whole medicine isle is low! You know it is bad when the stores are even running low on medicine. :puffpipe:

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I finally got the flu bug this past Sunday, and it kinda kicked my ass big time. I was down for most of the week and still not 100%, but life goes on. My abdominal muscles are racked with pain every time I cough. I went to the doctor on Monday and got a prescription for cough medicine, but by then the damage was done and is slowly dissipating. It has probably been 12+ years since I have had the flu, and I never get a flu shot.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
No chance in the world anyone is sticking me with something that doesn't have ingredients on the bottle. Call me crazy but I have read too much to not be cynical.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Got my shot back in Oct 2013, and I wash my hands on a regular bases. :puffy:

I also keep a bottle of Purell in my car and I use it on the handles on shopping carts.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
One of the senior scientists at NIH who had spent many years working on vaccines said she'd never get a flu shot; go figure.
Well, I wasn't going to say anything but I agree. After the shots are given out by employee health they send a letter out to all departments indicating participation in the program. The laboratory, comprising the mass of scientists on staff, always have the lowest participation rates. Hmmmmm ...

Status
Not open for further replies.