PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Philosopiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2021
Ever notice black particles floating up and around, especially right after lighting your pipe? When I catch them in my hand, and touch them, they liquify. I assume these can only be particles of tar.

I mention it because I never hear others mentioning this phenomenon. But it's one of the small things about pipe smoking that keeps me, strangely, amused. Just the image of some tar congealing in the chamber and floating up and out--if I understand the process right--instead of going down and up the shank as expected... And then randomly noticing this stuff floating around, these particles that have evaded death by pipe cleaner, even minutes after putting the pipe down.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've noticed unplanned smoke rings but never black particles. I'll start paying attention and see. I do not build cake in pipes; I scour out the bowl after each smoke with paper towel, so never need a reamer, and the chamber circumference stays about the same, so I may see no or fewer black particles.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Prometheus-Movie-Wallpapers.jpg

I’ve never experienced such things. But I’d be careful about it.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’m older than Bic lighters.

Back when most smokers lit up with matches or a Zippo, there were three kinds of portable matches used.

The most popular were Diamond Brand strike anywhere matches, sold everyplace cigarettes and tobacco were, in a little box, first for a penny and then two for a nickel before Bic lighters (and the cheaper Wanna Be Bics) replaced them.

Occasionally those little boxes said Safety Matches, which meant old men could not strike them off a brass button on the front of their bibs.

Then there were books of matches, usually free, with advertising.

I usually used book matches and they always said

CLOSE COVER BEFORE STRIKING

It happened to me several times, that when I neglected to close the cover the entire match book would flare off.

I wish I’d looked for the black dots.

Today I use a Zippo, and must have developed a resistance to tasting naphtha.:)

Reactions: scloyd and JOHN72

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Yes, that's the one I always get & recommend. 4 & 12 oz cans,
I believe its the only lighter fluid Zippo sells now.
Zippo bought the Ronsonol brand in 2010.

The Zippo US MSDS shows naptha. The Ronsonol US MSDS does not. Are they different? I suspect it'd be more efficient business-wise to make just one product for the two brands, but who knows.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Ever notice black particles floating up and around, especially right after lighting your pipe? When I catch them in my hand, and touch them, they liquify. I assume these can only be particles of tar.

I mention it because I never hear others mentioning this phenomenon. But it's one of the small things about pipe smoking that keeps me, strangely, amused. Just the image of some tar congealing in the chamber and floating up and out--if I understand the process right--instead of going down and up the shank as expected... And then randomly noticing this stuff floating around, these particles that have evaded death by pipe cleaner, even minutes after putting the pipe down.
never experienced such a thing. I've had some black ash particles float out but they disintegrate like ash and are not liquid. Not sure what's going on with your situation.