PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

James8855

Might Stick Around
Sep 23, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Is bad to put the flame of a lighter or match into a pipe bowl so you can light the bottom half of the bowl?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: saintpeter

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
No. You can burn your tongue, though, as there's not much tobacco to serve as 'cushion' for the heat.

It's also not really necessary, as you can hold the flame over the rim and still light the contents at the bottom: it's the superheated air, and not the flame that ignites them.

That being said, I'm not one for smoking or struggling to light dottle. I just throw it out. It's just tobacco.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
? I agree. I leave about 1/4 inch unburned to act as a natural filter. The big worry of some is charring the rim. Otherwise all if fair.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
... I just throw it out. It's just tobacco.
:oops:... When tobacco costs $4 per ounce for the cheapest of my likes It's never JUST tobacco.

That said; there is a certain amount of dottle that we just have to accept will be wasted. otherwise, you burn your tongue as mentioned, or just get a nasty sour taste from the dregs..

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's also not really necessary, as you can hold the flame over the rim and still light the contents at the bottom: it's the superheated air, and not the flame that ignites them.

That being said, I'm not one for smoking or struggling to light dottle. I just throw it out. It's just tobacco.

Yes, the heat beyond the visible tip is what you want, so as to not over do it, and it can be drawn down into the chamber, avoiding the rim.

One benefit to smoking all the way down is the heat drives moisture out. If the heel seems damp, but the smoke is getting acrid, I'll just breathe gently into the stem to keep it going....again, gentle is the watchword.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
:oops:... When tobacco costs $4 per ounce for the cheapest of my likes It's never JUST tobacco.

That said; there is a certain amount of dottle that we just have to accept will be wasted. otherwise, you burn your tongue as mentioned, or just get a nasty sour taste from the dregs..

Accept no dottle before its time! OK, I jest, but dottle happens with excess moisture and/or smoking too fast/hot. HTH.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
Yes, it is just that. Here, it's $25 per ounce, and I still throw it out: I only have one tongue, and it's just not worth it to sear it just because the commodity is so expensive/valuable.
Fair enough. I cant disagree, I tend to poke it a bit with the pipe nail to see just how far down I've smoked it. If there is enough to satisfy me I relight. If not, I dump.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
i like even lit tobacco. and some times, i just have to smoke that last 1/3 of the bowl. i don't have to, and cracked couple of pipes to know it's not wise. but you will see me pointing my bic directly into the chamber and move it in circle while roasting my thumb. good smoke.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Is bad to put the flame of a lighter or match into a pipe bowl so you can light the bottom half of the bowl?
Many of my pipes have chambers over 2 inches deep with the largest being 3 inches. Three fourths of the way down I will put the flame into the bowl but only while drawing to keep the flame off of the chamber walls. I've got no charred rims or scorched walls.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
To be technically correct, it is undesirable and unnecessary for the flame to ever touch the tobacco. In most pipes, you can light the tobacco as it burns down by holding the flame slightly above the rim.

I hear people talking about not smoking the dottle. Most of my bowls are smoked to ash. Probably helps that I dry my tobacco adequately. I don't see any reason the bottom of the briar needs any more protection than the sides/walls. Someone help me make sense of that. To be clear, if you are holding your flame inside the bowl and puffing like a madman in order to smoke those last few strands, quit. As previously stated, you risk damaging the bowl, you're adding to your tongue burn problem and I can't imagine it would taste very good. If mine burns to the bottom with a reasonable amount of relights along the way, great. If I empty the bowl and there is some dottle, equally great. The only thing that matters is that I enjoyed that bowl of tobacco.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
To be technically correct, it is undesirable and unnecessary for the flame to ever touch the tobacco. In most pipes, you can light the tobacco as it burns down by holding the flame slightly above the rim.

I hear people talking about not smoking the dottle. Most of my bowls are smoked to ash. Probably helps that I dry my tobacco adequately. I don't see any reason the bottom of the briar needs any more protection than the sides/walls. Someone help me make sense of that. To be clear, if you are holding your flame inside the bowl and puffing like a madman in order to smoke those last few strands, quit. As previously stated, you risk damaging the bowl, you're adding to your tongue burn problem and I can't imagine it would taste very good. If mine burns to the bottom with a reasonable amount of relights along the way, great. If I empty the bowl and there is some dottle, equally great. The only thing that matters is that I enjoyed that bowl of tobacco.
I don't disagree with this. I'll just add a few tidbits:
  • It also depends on the blend. Aromatics don't take kindly to drying to the same extent as VAs or other types: they'll lose flavour. Ergo, an aro will, for the most part, generate more moisture at the bottom, as it's packed in moister to begin with. If one smokes super goopy aros like Lane's, the heel will be soaking wet by the time the cherry reaches it and just won't stay lit—puff, relight, puff, relight, puff... to hell with it!
  • One of the reasons/obsessions with smoking dottle has more to do with mythical breaking-in procedures and the pursuit of the (in)famous cake than with not wasting even minute amounts of tobacco. I know because I once went for it. I wanted to smoke all the way down to have an evenly charred chamber and to avoid thick cake on top and thin or no cake at the bottom. Eventually, I learned that my tongue is more valuable than a piece of briar and that I don't want cake in the latter anyway.
Yes, in the end it all comes down to enjoyment: if it burns to a fine white ash all the way to the bottom, fine; if I have to throw away a few strands, equally fine; if I have to toss a rather large amount of dottle because I love aromatics whose burning generates tons of moisture, fine too!

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I know this has been mentioned in other forums and each person has their own preference, but I have found myself tapping out the top ash about mid-bowl and relighting the unburned tobacco. For me, this seems to work really well and I get better flavor deeper into the bowl. I find myself doing this with chimneys and bent pipes that have those deep chambers. Sometimes do it with my larger sized pots also. My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.