PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
Sorry if a repeat but I googled and couldn't find an answer. I have Former's Private Flake in a tin. Close to 2 months. Right now is my 3rd time smoking and I opened the tin 3 times over this time period. I am enjoying it, few more relights but nothing annoying. Was going to ask one question but just thought of a couple. I am trying to b experience the true nature of a flake and fold vs rub. Surprisingly I can do it 1st try. Trying to peel one layer off is doable but definitely sticky. It mildly breaks but taking time I can keep it somewhat together. Should it be easy to separate or a little sticky like it is? I read about different cuts but is rubbing vs fold make a different smoking experience? Same with let's say if I bought same tobacco ribbon cut? Or is more of a good storing over time element? Any info on flake would be appreciated. I haven't had to relight this 3rd bowl so not really a packing thing vs tobacco moisture, peeling and the few othe questions I had.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Some tins the flakes are just stuck together and you're left with more of a broken flake. You have the right idea in peeling the flakes, just be as careful as you can.

You can still fold and stuff broken flakes if that's your issue, just make sure to leave some room for the expansion once you light up. I grab a wad of broken flake and just stuff it in there and it smokes very much like a fold and stuff.

And yes, I have experienced a difference in flavor, probably more due to the slower burn rate.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
U have some other great flake suggestion, exploring everything right now. For others please read my original vs other flakes but open to others as well.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Some tins the flakes are just stuck together and you're left with more of a broken flake. You have the right idea in peeling the flakes, just be as careful as you can.

You can still fold and stuff broken flakes if that's your issue, just make sure to leave some room for the expansion once you light up. I grab a wad of broken flake and just stuff it in there and it smokes very much like a fold and stuff.

And yes, I have experienced a difference in flavor, probably more due to the slower burn rate.
and it changes where the topping is. Or at least that is my guess. I started thinking that after smoking my least favorite flake. It's one I like but won't get again. Down South I think was the name. It was a briar works flake. But how much you broke it up changed the flavor dramatically, semi broken it was like a tobacco forward aro. Rubbed out or fold and stuff (it's been over a year) on one end tasted very super aro (where's the tobacco) and the other end tasted untopped. It was the most dramatic difference I've tasted in a flake. Honestly I don't get a huge difference in flavors with flakes when more or less rubbed, I usually get a bigger difference in how they smoke. I mean there is always some difference but that one was the only one where it was truly dramatic.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
and it changes where the topping is. Or at least that is my guess. I started thinking that after smoking my least favorite flake. It's one I like but won't get again. Down South I think was the name. It was a briar works flake. But how much you broke it up changed the flavor dramatically, semi broken it was like a tobacco forward aro. Rubbed out or fold and stuff (it's been over a year) on one end tasted very super aro (where's the tobacco) and the other end tasted untopped. It was the most dramatic difference I've tasted in a flake. Honestly I don't get a huge difference in flavors with flakes when more or less rubbed, I usually get a bigger difference in how they smoke. I mean there is always some difference but that one was the only one where it was truly dramatic.
You're right, I haven't experienced it with every flake, and some I still rub out, but for the most part I think it slows me down and that's where the sweet stuff can be found.

U have some other great flake suggestion, exploring everything right now. For others please read my original vs other flakes but open to others as well.
There are too many to list, but I started out with Orlik Golden Sliced and still smoke it often to this day.

Any Mac Baren made flake is high quality and perfect for folding. Navy flake is one of my favorites.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You're right, I haven't experienced it with every flake, and some I still rub out, but for the most part I think it slows me down and that's where the sweet stuff can be found.

There are too many to list, but I started out with Orlik Golden Sliced and still smoke it often to this day.

Any Mac Baren made flake is high quality and perfect for folding. Navy flake is one of my favorites.
normally I pull flakes apart into ready rub style bits. Just find it smokes the best. Slows it down but also doesn't require a number of relights. But generally either way is fine.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Status
Not open for further replies.