PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I roll it into a ball and just keep rolling while reducing pressure until there is no more tobacco in my hands. The rubbed tobacco falls out onto the plate where I let it dry for at least 30 minutes. Pack it using the 3 pinch method only with a little lighter compression and I'm ready to go. It's a bit more work but most flakes, coins and Cakes are worth the effort.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I fold the flake the long way then fold it the short way. I twist it a bit to break it up while it is folded then put it in the pipe rough edge up. The most important thing is to dry it out and have a bit of kindling on the top.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I pull the flakes into strips and just gently stuff the strips into the pipe the last strip or two gets fully rubbed out and placed on top of the bowl. The trick is to when packing the bowl barely tamp, use your finger to do that. Keep in mind the strips will swell so a very loose pack is what is required. The rubbed out portion is easier to get a good even char light. Burns evenly doesn't need a bunch of relights (mostly at the beginning of the bowl.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I bought a Burr style coffee grinder to replace my bladed version a while back. Now, I take a couple flakes and throw them in this Grinder, then I let it dry out for a few minutes. It only takes a couple of pulses. I do the same for plugs and ropes.
That's new, never heard of anyone doing that, pretty cool

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yup, the folks here are inventive. Blade grinder, fine. Just don't put it in your burr grinder!

61QkLcaxh6L._AC_SL1217_.jpg

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
a flake that’s rubbed out (no longer in a compressed form) is going to have different burning qualities than one that is folded and stuffed or cube cub (still generally compressed). Sometimes that can result in noticeable flavor differences as well. You may end up preferring one method over another, but that choice is purely subjective and you won’t really know what works best for you until you try all the methods

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As a beginner, just break it up and grind it around in your fingers and palm, and when it is small enough and uniform enough, pack it. There are little graters that work well to make it more uniform. Fold and stuff can be perfected with a little practice. But give yourself plenty of leeway to play around with it and do it your way. I usually rub out several bowls full to keep the pleasure of a bowl seeming less like work.

Reactions: Casual and BROBS

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
I take a flake out, let it dry for an hour or two, cube cut it with a sharp knife, and then gravity fill. Love flakes... especially anything Samuel Gawith.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.