PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
What flakes are still in square/rectangle tins?
I know Samuel Gawith and GH are.

I think Mac Baren is, but not sure.

I know STG/Orlik is not (Dunhill, Orlik, Peterson)

I just bought a tin of Silem's Commodore Flake, it is not.

Rattray's?
Any other square tins left? I like them more than rounds for flakes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Then you ought to save a few for your future use. There's some chance that square tins in the US is going the way of the Sony Walkman.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
John Aylesbury Luxury flake
I think I heard that was replaced by Classic Flake. Just can't remember where.
003-036-0005.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Now that is odd. I like the look of the square ones better, but feel more secure in the sealing of the round ones.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Solani ABF and Solani Silver Flake have square-ish tins.... I haven't been able to get ABF for quite a while...

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Now that is odd. I like the look of the square ones better, but feel more secure in the sealing of the round ones.
According to P&C:
Please note: Due to a recent packaging change, Erinmore Flake may come in a round tin, rather than the square tin pictured.
Maybe the ones I see are the old tins.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Solani ABF and Solani Silver Flake have square-ish tins.... I haven't been able to get ABF for quite a while...
Bad thing about those is that they don't seal at all. More of a hinged presentation case. Much like Rattray's Exotic Orange and the like.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Bad thing about those is that they don't seal at all. More of a hinged presentation case.
CE, that is true of the Silver Flake -- great match keeping tin, but not sealed for storage of the tobacco. But the little 50g tins of ABF tins are sealed for storing.

I personally like the square tins. I have never had a seal breach. And, I have reams of ODF, Capstan, Erinmore, Vanilla Flake, FVF, etc... Probably about 300, with not a leak in the bunch.
Some of those square tins like Solanis and etc... never had a seal.

I think like we talk about with sponsors and such, there is a forum phenomena that occurs, when one person posts a problem, and then it gets dog piled, makes the problem look much worse than it really is. The "me too'ers" come out of the woodwork. Like the C&D mold issue, which was really just a couple of percentage points higher than their normal expectations of loss to mold. But, the forum put a magnifying glass on it, making it look disproportionately larger than it was.
It's ok not to trust the square seals because you had one breach, but everyone needs to keep in mind that round ones have breached in past as well. But, if you guys just can't bring yourself to trust them, I will gladly receive all of your square tins. :puffy:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I just had a round one breach last night... it was StoP Bengal Slices and that is actually the 5th or 6th tin of theirs that I could twist the lid right off. Totally dried out.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
This is very true but I’m with you, I have never had a square tin breach. I have a lot of years on my square tins and they’re holding up just fine. I mentioned this in another thread but the flakes that used to be in the square tins that are now in round tins all stick together in one big chunk and it’s near impossible to get a full flake from them now, it’s really annoying. In the square tins they came out perfect, so another pro goes towards the square tins. I’m a square tin afficianado!

Status
Not open for further replies.