PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Rockett, Texas. South of DFW Metroplex
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Ok, another question from a noob. How does one go about cellaring that flake tobacco. I saw the sponsor site has some HH Old Dark Fired flake tobacco in 16 ounces. Is it one big flake or a bunch of flakes similar to the small tin. I really like the HH Old Dark Fired Flake. They also offer it in bulk but it is not flake, it is just regular loose tobacco. Would that still taste and smoke the same as the flake?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
The bulk ODF is Flake that has been rubbed out. That’s what I buy. And oftentimes “Flake” May mean broken flake, which is somewhere in between an intact flake and ready rubbed. It varies from maker to maker, blend to blend. If we’re talking intact flakes, I just stack as many as I can into a jar. Or you can leave it in the tin if it comes tinned.

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
The bulk ODF is Flake that has been rubbed out. That’s what I buy. And oftentimes “Flake” May mean broken flake, which is somewhere in between an intact flake and ready rubbed. It varies from maker to maker, blend to blend. If we’re talking intact flakes, I just stack as many as I can into a jar. Or you can leave it in the tin if it comes tinned.
@Country Bladesmith ODF??? What does that mean. Thanks

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Bulk Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired (ODF) is also available in actual flakes, although they are much longer flakes than those that come in the tin. It arrives as a brick (sliced up into flake), wrapped in plastic, in a box. Just cut them and put them into several Mason jars. A single large jar could be used, but the idea is that using smaller jars enables one to be opened without disturbing the rest so that they can continue to age untouched.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Bulk ODF is also available in actual flakes, although they are much longer flakes than those that come in the tin. Many people just cut them and put them into several Mason jars. A single large jar could be used, but the idea is that using smaller jars enables one to be opened without disturbing the rest so that they can continue to age untouched.
Good to know. All I’ve ever bought (or seen) is the ready rubbed in bulk. If it’s long flakes like Lancer Slices, I usually fold those over and stuff them in a jar. You’re not going to pull out an intact flake that way, but I usually just rub it out anyway, so no biggie.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I really like the HH Old Dark Fired Flake. They also offer it in bulk but it is not flake, it is just regular loose tobacco. Would that still taste and smoke the same as the flake?
Mostly yes. It's the same tobacco that has already been mostly rubbed out, so it should start out the same. Technically it's possible that it could age slightly different over a very long period of time due to the additional surface area exposed to oxygen compared to the flakes stacked together.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Good to know. All I’ve ever bought (or seen) is the ready rubbed in bulk. If it’s long flakes like Lancer Slices, I usually fold those over and stuff them in a jar. You’re not going to pull out an intact flake that way, but I usually just rub it out anyway, so no biggie.
I agree. Also, usually only a third to half of a "standard" tin-sized flake is enough to fill a pipe bowl which means I end up cutting or breaking a flake off out of the jar as a serving.

I have a couple ounces of Lancer Slices as well and forgot that they were quite long. However, they arrived much more broken so I just folded them over and stuffed them in the jar as well. The smaller bulk flakes that have been repacked seem to arrive more broken up compared to full pounds of bulk flake or larger pre-packed quantities (e.g. 250g boxes).

Watch City Cigar blend slices are bulk, but are very thick and just slightly longer than what easily fits into an 8 oz Mason jar. Those just get kind of jammed into the jar until enough is used off one end to allow them to stand up straight.

Last edited:

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Bulk Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired (ODF) is also available in actual flakes, although they are much longer flakes than those that come in the tin. It arrives as a brick (sliced up into flake), wrapped in plastic, in a box. Just cut them and put them into several Mason jars. A single large jar could be used, but the idea is that using smaller jars enables one to be opened without disturbing the rest so that they can continue to age untouched.
Perfect @kschatey That is the answer I'm looking for. Good idea to put them in smaller mason jars so if you need to get into the stash you don't disturb the others and their aging process. So just cut them into pieces that will stack into the jar without to much disturbance and fill it up?

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Perfect @kschatey That is the answer I'm looking for. Good idea to put them in smaller mason jars so if you need to get into the stash you don't disturb the others and their aging process. So just cut them into pieces that will stack into the jar without to much disturbance and fill it up?
Yup, that's really all there is to it! Actually, cut them into any size/length you like! As an example, Orlik Strong Dark Kentucky actually comes in small square flakes in the tin (arranged in three little stacks that make it look like the radiation symbol). One or two is then just about right for most average-sized pipes. Some bulk is also available in "square cut" as well, but it isn't common.

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Yup, that's really all there is to it! Actually, cut them into any size/length you like! As an example, Orlik Strong Dark Kentucky actually comes in small square flakes in the tin (arranged in three little stacks that make it look like the radiation symbol). One or two is then just about right for most average-sized pipes. Some bulk is also available in "square cut" as well, but it isn't common.
@kschatey Is the Orlik Strong Dark a similar tobacco like HH ODF? So far out of all the tobaccos I've tried the HH ODF is my favorite.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
@kschatey Is the Orlik Strong Dark a similar tobacco like HH ODF? So far out of all the tobaccos I've tried the HH ODF is my favorite.
The two are different, but Orlick Strong Dark Kentucky (SDK) is very good. I really like ODF because it has great flavor, but it's beyond my usual nicotine tolerance still. Orlik SDK is not quite as strong and has more Virginia-ish flavors coming through, but it offers a really great experience overall. I'd recommend reading the recent reviews for each on TobaccoReviews.com as some people mention the other and/or comparisions. The two are definitely not the same, but it's worth trying a tin of the Orlik SDK (it's only $10) if you like ODF.

Below is a picture of the Orlik SDK; it's a really fun flake, right?:
y683mwb0nzj01.jpg

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
The two are different, but Orlick Strong Dark Kentucky (SDK) is very good. I really like ODF because it has great flavor, but it's beyond my usual nicotine tolerance still. Orlik SDK is not quite as strong and has more Virginia-ish flavors coming through, but it offers a really great experience overall. I'd recommend reading the recent reviews for each on TobaccoReviews.com as some people mention the other and/or comparisions. The two are definitely not the same, but it's worth trying a tin of the Orlik SDK (it's only $10) if you like ODF.

Below is a picture of the Orlik SDK; it's a really fun flake, right?:
View attachment 42509
I'm adding one to my order. It does look like a really fun flake and worth trying. Thanks @hawky454 I will do it like that, great photos thank you

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I just remove the cellophane and seal the whole 16oz in Mylar, put it back in the box. Takes me several years to get around to them anyways.

I have stuff sealed in bail jars that I open on occasion maybe once or twice a year. I’ve had some of these jars for several years. I‘ve never noticed any problems with aging... Or I’m just not as refined.

Also have several thousand cigars that get exposed to the open air on occasion. Haven’t had issues with them not being able to age either. Some of them are half as old as I am...

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Thanks @hawky454 I will do it like that, great photos thank you
My pleasure. I love buying their flakes by the pound. Their presentation is just as good with their bulk flakes as it is with their tinned flakes, it’s almost like you are buying a huge tin. The tobacco is still wrapped in that classy gold foil too! I’m so thankful Mac Baren sells most of their blends by the pound, you save a lot of money buying in bulk, so if you know you love it buy it by the pound! I would stick to buying with online vendors that move product quickly, that way you know that it’s not going to arrive too dry. I personally recommend smokingpipes.com (spc). I love Old Dark Fired too! Sounds like you are starting out on the right track!

Be sure to post some pics of your acquisition! We love to see pipe tobacco ‘round these parts! ?

Reactions: 02Knight and 3rdguy