Flake, Sliced, Navy Cut, Round Sliced, Orlik, etc.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
Friends I have a new pipe.. im going to use this pipe only for a type of tobacco, flake style i have a few blends and types what I'm wondering is will these be fine all in the same pipe ? I want no ghosting really juat this new pipe dedicated to these tobaccos

Any and all tips and info is awesome
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
85royals, the cut and form of the tobacco isn't what causes ghosting. It is the particular leaf.

Latakia and some of the flavorings in Lakeland tobaccos are some that have a reputation for

ghosting. The fact that tobacco is of a particular cut, or is rope, plug, flake, etc. has no bearing.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Congrats on the new pipe! Let's see some pics, we all like pipe pics. Might make some of us jealous, but oh well.
Anyway, you might want to be careful dedicating a CUT of tobacco to a pipe rather than a TYPE of tobacco. I'll explain.
Not all flakes are created equal. Here are some examples:

-Virginia

-Virginia Perique

-Virginia Burley

-Virginia Latakia Burley Oriental
That last one is actually MacBaren HH Latakia Flake. There might be more out there like it. Latakia can ghost a pipe, as I'm told. So, you need to be careful.
Also, flakes can be aromatic. Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake is topped with something. Firedance Flake, Bob's Chocolate Flake, Vanilla Cream Flake all use aromatic toppings. And, there are some flakes that are deemed Lakelands, which can ghost a pipe too. AFAIK, traditional navy flakes were topped with rum, since the sailors loved their rum. Check out tobaccoreviews.com to see if the blend is topped. PS LTF doesn't mention any sort of topping on the package or blend description from the manufacturer, but TR lists some toppings.
So, my advice to you would be to pick your favorite flake / cake / coin / spun / navy cut tobacco, let's just say Dunhill Flake for example, and smoke DF or other tobacco in that genre only in your new pipe. So, Sutliff Virginia Slices would also be another lighter straight VA flake like DF. There could be other similar blends out there that are not in flake form.
Personally, I have 3 kinds of pipes: aromatic, latakia, and non-aromatic. In my non-aromatic pipes, I'll smoke anything that's not topped. This means straight Virginia, Virginia Perique, Virginia Burley. Haven't run across any Virginia with Orientals in it yet, maybe once. Some people have straight Virginia pipes, Virginia Perique pipes, Virginia Burley pipes, etc.
Lately, I've been toying with the idea of trying some non-aromatic tobaccos in my latakia or aromatic pipes to see how they compare. I'll keep the non-aromatic pipes "pure" for now.
I recently had a pipe that was designated non-aromatic, but I decided to make it a latakia pipe because of the bowl geometry (wide shallow bowl, prince shape). But I just remember how well I liked it for Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye and Navy Flakes. So, I might switch it back. If it doesn't work out, it might stay a latakia pipe. But, the pipe was VERY well seasoned with VA tobaccos, it might not have ghosted. I may have only ghosted the cake. So reaming back the cake might help. If it doesn't, a ream down to bare wood and a salt/alcohol treatment might work. Or a retort, or GL Pease even wrote about putting it in the oven, something like "out damn spot!" was the title of the article.
Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how ghosting works, it doesn't seem like there's a specific formula to it. Some will say that you just need to smoke the ghost out. Might be a handful of bowls, or might be a hundred. Not sure. I guess it depends more on your tastes, and how sensitive they are.
Ghosting is different than souring. A sour pipe just needs a good cleaning, usually in the shank / mortise/ draught hole.
I guess I should have asked: what blends were you thinking of smoking in your new pipe?
Sorry for the long post. Stream of consciousness type stuff.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Hey, mso, you beat me to it! And you put it much more succinctly.
mso mentioned rope. A lot of the Gawith & Hogarth rope is aromatic, like Coconut or Rum. And I'm not sure if I would want to smoke XX Black Irish in one of my briars, even if it's not topped. That might go in a cob instead.

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
10501695_751744621543736_4007604011890961969_n.jpg

Sorry I forgot to post the photo.. These 3 tobaccos and Newminsters Superior Round Slices are tobaccos i was thinking of using only in this pipe.. Thanks for the awesome response

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I think you'll find that you're not alone.
I know a number of folks here, self included, who dedicate pipes to types of tobacco. For instance, I only smoke aromatics in my meers or in cobs. I have specific pipes dedicated to Latakia forward blends and blends with Latakia and Orientals. I have other pipes which I use solely for Virginia dominant blends, but I cheat a little and also use those pipes to smoke Va blends which also contain Perique and Burley.
As others have said, it's not the cut of the tobacco which leaves the ghost, it is the blend itself.
It should be noted that any tobacco which remotely smells Lakelandish also goes in the meer or a cob.
Happy puffing.
-- Pat

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
85, the pics of the tobacco above will all be fine if you smoke them in the same pipe, since they are of the same category.
I dedicate all of my pipes to either a category i.e Virginia Flakes, Vapers or Vaburs. I will also dedicate one blend to one pipe when I find that magical combo. For example, I have a Lane Era Charatan Dublin that I only smoke Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake in. I have a Rad Davis Lovat that I only smoke Stonehaven in. The biggest ghosters are Latakia, Lakeland and aromatic blends with the worst being Lakeland blends. One bowl of a Lakeland in a pipe can ghost it so badly that it might take 15 bowls to smoke the ghost out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.