PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
I watched Pipes Magazine's video on the fold & stuff method for loading flake tobacco last night. I got my delivery of Cambridge Flake & Penzance from Peretti's today and just employed the method with the latter. I have to say that this is the best loading method for flake that I have tried. It's burning and drawing beautifully, and I've only had to relight after I've set the pipe down for a while.
Thanks Pipes Magazine!
Cheers,
Craig

damien83

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2011
For the last month or longer, I have been smoking nothing but flake tobacco and I will not light the toby unless it has been fold n stuffed. I use kinda a hybrid method I found from Dubinthedam youtube video "Flakes" and what I feel comfortable with myself.

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Damien,
Thank you for the heads up on the flake video from Dubinthedam, I found it very informative. I'm going to look over some more of his videos this evening.
Cheers,
Craig

welshwizard

Lurker
Aug 25, 2011
I do prefer flake and always went through a ritual of gently rubbing it and slowly getting it into the bowl all at the right pressure of course.

BUT.... having a new pack of Condor flake a while ago and on opening it felt a bit on the dry side for some unknown reason. I tried folding a single flake into the bowl:?
To my surprise it lit well and stayed alight for an hour, a very nice smoke and I have been doing the same ever since :clap:
Who said "your never too old to learn"

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I find it hard as a horse crap to get a good draw that also stays lit with the fold and stuff. Guess I just need more practice! :mrgreen:

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I find it hard as a horse crap to get a good draw that also stays lit
Flake will swell quite a lot as it burns.

Yes, it does take practice. Here's what I do to combat the above problem.
The load you end up with after having folded the flake up should slide easily into the bowl. If more than just the barest effort of pushing is required to get it into the chamber it will probably end up to tight after lit.
Pinch the top bit of the resultant "load" off so that it is a good bit below the top of the bowl. Take this and rub it out well and then load on top to act as kindling. Bit of a tap or three on the side of the bowl to work this kindling down in amongst the flake.

The end result may at first seem way too loose of a job but this approach has served me well.
Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.