Flake Does Not Stay Lit; Goes Out Every Minute!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

thedoc333

Might Stick Around
Mar 15, 2021
LA
“Possible “ and “may” are not evidence.

Evidence.

And to Marko:

Rub out the flake and don't dry for too long 2-5 min max (less if in the sun). Drop rubbed out flake into bowl, tamp lightly; drop some more, tamp lightly; drop just a bit more, tamp and go for it! No need to overdo the char. Cheers

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
One thing I found when smoking HU Janneman Flake that works for me all the time now is to fold, twist and stuff a flake right out of the tin/jar, then carefully pull it out of the pipe and let it dry for some hours in that corckscrew shape, then carefully put back in the pipe for smoking. I found it retains its shape and gives a long cool smoke with great flavour every time.
The only flakes I dried to a total crisp are Samuel Gawith St James and Full Virginia.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I put a flake of Erinmore in the oven for 10 minutes while the oven was cooling down. The flake easily came apart and was quite dry after that.

The flake pretty much crumbled up while I was trying to pull it into pieces. I thought it might have been too dry, but it ended up being a perfect smoke.
I like crispy flakes. They don't seem to lose flavor the way ribbon can.

Reactions: luigi

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Typical flake takes 3 hrs to dry here (dry enough to smoke). It's been 80+% humidity here. The notorious SG flakes might take day or two to dry enough for a nice smoke. Maybe longer? Mine are just too young to pop the tin now. Maybe two more years. Just had two flakes of Twist Flake. Was bone dry, but good enough for a nice slow smoke after mowing the lawn.

Reactions: jpmcwjr