PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
So I got some pipes off ebay last week, and two of them have very loose stems. One just falls out on its own, and the other will probably tighten up a little while smoked due to expansion, but I doubt enough to fit right.

So how can I go about fixing this? I've heard just dabbing a bit of super glue around the inside of the shank and letting it dry can work. Just sanding it down a bit till the stem fits in there. But what say ye, folk of the briar?

Jul 12, 2011
http://pimopipecraft.com/tools.html has a Stem Tightener Kit, never used them but I hear people say good things about them, $15.00

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
There are a couple of other ways than those mentioned so far.

1) A thin layer of Bees Wax will work nicely, but is not a permanent solution.

2) Gently warm up only the tenon of the stem. Then carefully and gently press the end of the tenon straight down on a hard surface.

This will cause the tenon to bulge. Be sure to take care because you could make it too large to fit. If it is a touch too large after it has cooled and re-hardened, use some high grit/fine sand paper to adjust it.
Just be careful. That is the best remedy I have found.
:puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Smoke them first before doing any work. I had loose stems on a Dunhll (hadn't been smoked for a long time) and a Grabow (just old). Both tightened up nicely with a few bowls.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
Bee's wax has worked for me in the past, and it's about as simple as it gets. The clear nail polish approach mentioned earlier is pretty clever, however.

Jul 12, 2011
I have seen someone do the Pimo stem tightener kit tech without it, using a wooden dowel/soft taper cut on it, then push wooden dowel into tenon area, heating the tenon at the same time over candle 6-10" away, then slowly push the wood dowel into the tenon to slowly expand it, once completed put in cold water to set and remove the dowel...saves you the cost of the kit :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.