nahbesprechung.net
Maybe this view can inspire you to swap the old stem:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
No one talks about Flitz anymore?

I was about to mention Flitz.

I’ve used fine sandpaper to buff away the oxidization, then polish with Flitz. But, I’ve never had a stem before with this bad of oxidization either.

All the stems I sanded before, then used Flitz, you could only see slight oxidization on them, more like a shade of brown/black, that wasn’t noticeable unless you shined a light on the stems.

@didimauw if you get a pipe with good quality vulcanite or cumberland, and you always wipe it down and oil it, it will rarely oxidize, and if it does, it will be so slight, a few minutes with like Flitz and good as new.

Have you heard of Eldritch? It’s suppose to be as comfortable as vulcanite/cumberland but doesn’t oxidize, that’s what I’ve been told.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Interesting method. How do you do it? Do you use a lighter and lightly singe? Please get more details.
It's a hybrid of this but I only use a lighter and a wet paper towel followed by thumb buffing with toothpaste for a mirror shine.

20180613_180543-1.jpg

I would post a video but youtube's algorithm deleted all of my tobacco related content.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
You're concerned about chemicals in tobacco but want to chew on a resin stem?

I don’t have any pipes with Eldritch, I also thought it’s a type of cumberland, so no worse or better, when it comes to the composition of it.

RawKrafted calls it Eldritch Cumberland.

The last I remembered, I thought Juma and Eldritch were about the same, when it came to not oxidizing, and no better or worse as far as chemicals are concerned between the two.

Also, when I was going to have Jason Everett commission a pipe, he mentioned he also offers the stems in Eldritch, not sure if he still uses it.

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
Using a Bic lighter to heat the stem followed by a wet paper towel really works! It was about 90% effective, but I didn't have any toothpaste only denture adhesive. So I used 3M polishing paper up to 8000 Grit. It worked pretty well, but I think it will work even better as I practice and get some toothpaste next time I'm at the store.
Thanks for the tip!

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I don’t have any pipes with Eldritch, I also thought it’s a type of cumberland, so no worse or better, when it comes to the composition of it.

RawKrafted calls it Eldritch Cumberland.

The last I remembered, I thought Juma and Eldritch were about the same, when it came to not oxidizing, and no better or worse as far as chemicals are concerned between the two.

Also, when I was going to have Jason Everett commission a pipe, he mentioned he also offers the stems in Eldritch, not sure if he still uses it.
It's a resin pour. Not ebonite. Not Cumberland. They call it that because of the color swirls but still resin.