PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
Bought this Stanwell Danish Star at auction because I like the grain and figured I could fix the bit wit epoxy. However, on further inspection, the hole is a bit bigger than I thought and the material is very thin…. Thought I might try filling the hole and adding some material to the top of the bit to make it a little thicker. Anybody ever tied anything like this?

Does anyone know if Briarworks has any replacement stems in this configuration?8899AEB4-AC2F-45C7-904A-2881B347CC87.jpegD27D733E-4A5D-421D-8BC5-42C8C652D5AA.jpeg

Reactions: captainsousie

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
1.) Find a cereal box. Cut in shape of triangle to fit into funnel. Tape it. Put some vaseline on it. Stick it in the funnel.
2.) Mix up some black super glue and powdered activated charcoal. Fill the hole.
3.) After a couple of days, file the excess, sand the area, then polish. Remove the cardboard insert.
4.) Smoke it up...

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
That’s what I am learning to love about this place - practical, varied, humorous and timely answers to otherwise perplexing questions. My sincere thanks.

I’ve got some of that Gflex epoxy and picked up some black pigment. I’ve got to mix up a batch for another stem repair anyway so I might as well try the method @craig61a suggested, and update with results. Sounds like it will be a bust but hopefully I will learn something.

For future reference, is Briarville usually the first call for a replacement stem?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you go with a replacement stem I'd at least consider having it done as a tapered stem on that pipe. It's a replacement, so the original Stanwell design will be compromised, and I think a tapered stem would look better on that pipe, perhaps. See what you think. Also, a tortoise shell or ivory colored stem would brighten up what is a rather solemn color scheme at present.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Patching it will work fine, If the bit is thin you can build up the area around the back to give it some added thickness. I've done this numerous times, and I've got pipes 20 years old that had bigger chunks missing and they've held up. As long as you don't intend on chewing on the bit it'll be fine. I've also spliced new rear bit sections on and they hold up just fine too. I used stainless steel tubing to splice.

I usually make a new stem if the existing stem is too far gone. I'll use a blank or handcut a new rubber stem. If it's a valuable pipe, well then I'll take it to Rich Lewis who's just a couple miles away.

If anything it's an opportunity to hone your repair and shaping, sanding and polishing chops. And if you mess it up you can always get a new stem made.

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
If the bit is thin you can build up the area around the back to give it some added thickness.
That’s awesome, kinda what I had in mind. Also on the top, hoping a thicker layer of epoxy around the area will not only strengthen the already thin stem but help anchor the patch.

I usually make a new stem if the existing stem is too far gone. I'll use a blank or handcut a new rubber stem.
This is probably something I will have to do sooner rather than later as I’ve got a box of estates inbound. Do you use the Pimo blanks and turning tool or are there other options I should consider? A lathe would be the cat’s ass, unfortunately I don’t have one at this point.

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
If you go with a replacement stem I'd at least consider having it done as a tapered stem on that pipe. It's a replacement, so the original Stanwell design will be compromised, and I think a tapered stem would look better on that pipe, perhaps. See what you think. Also, a tortoise shell or ivory colored stem would brighten up what is a rather solemn color scheme at present.
Gonna take out some dings and re-stain, perhaps a bit lighter, but I like the idea, might add a little bling:)

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
That’s awesome, kinda what I had in mind. Also on the top, hoping a thicker layer of epoxy around the area will not only strengthen the already thin stem but help anchor the patch.
I would sand the area for better adhesion. And I don't use epoxy...
Do you use the Pimo blanks and turning tool or are there other options I should consider? A lathe would be the cat’s ass, unfortunately I don’t have one at this point.
Yes, yes, and yes.

Reactions: beargreasediet

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
Blending the transition from epoxy to the vulcanite is not a trivial thing. In the process of trying to do that I removed more of the patch than I would have liked, we’ll see how it holds up. Need to get a rubber for it for certain.

We’ll call this a learner pipe - glad it was cheap. Overall it looks pretty, so long as you don’t look too close at the mouthpiece…1BFC1B1E-319C-40CB-86D6-91037BA22CFE.jpegE7C01C15-2ADC-4D54-BFB4-9A556EAAED8F.jpeg

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
I think it turned out good. Nice looking pipe.
Thank you friend. If it were a decent pipe (≥ $5000.00) I would have a new stem made, barring that I would scratch it up again and add more epoxy to resahape the lip and feather a little further. But it was all for fun. Gaining respect by the minute for those folks who do this sort of thing at a high level.Stem Work.jpg