PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Just received 4 tins of Capstan from SP. 1 each of flake and ready rubbed, blue and yellow tins.
All the tins are 2018 except for one tin of gold ready rubbed (yellow label, round tin). It’s dated Apr 2013. Can I consider this aged?
I’m really new to Virginias and so far Escudo still burns me if I’m not really careful. FVF is a little easier if I cube cut and dry but still likes to bite a little. Russ Oullett’s Acadian VaPer smokes like a dream and I love this stuff.
Reading reviews on Capstan looks like a good step towards full Virginias. Anyway, will the 2013 tin be worth opening now or should I give it more time? Thanks.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I haven't tried an aged tin yet, but I am sampling all the virginias I can get my hands on and leaving some to age.

I think 5 years would make it an aged blend, but I would advice you to try some of the newer tins first, to get an impression of what you're dealing with and to get some experience to measure the aged tin against.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Capstan is not just a step towards Virginia blends, it’s a leap directly at bullseye. It’s a classic. IMHO 5 years is good, I recommend smoking now. Then order a few tins to age.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
OK. Great. Thanks for the great tips. 2013 tin gets opened tomorrow and the other 3 going into the deep cellar. I’ll report back here on my experience.
Also, smoking PS Luxury Bullseye Flake right now. My God man... 2 coins rubbed out and dried for 30 mins. Wow it’s good. Only ordered 2 oz. bulk in case I didn’t like it. Well, a pound getting ordered soon for the cellar.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Check this out http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/33-year-old-capstan-blue-perfection

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Wow! 33 years... Absolutely amazing. Most certainly a once in a lifetime experience.
I’m really looking forward to trying Capstan.
Might have to tuck away the blue flake tin for a long sleep. Doubt very much I’ll have 33 years though!

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I agree with Jmill - give it 10 more minutes. If you like that PS Luxury Bullseye Flake you might want to try their Luxury Twist Flake.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
10 more minutes! That’s great.
Tried my first bowl of the 5 year old tin this morning. Wow, what a great smoke. Definitely have to treat these Virginias with a little care and finesse. Now I can definitely see what the draw is to Va’s and VaPers. Thinking this tin won’t make it to the jar as it will be gone soon. Thanks for all the info.
And yes, Luxury Twist Flake is definitely going to happen.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I was lucky enough to get a 5 year aged tin from SP when they actually advertised it as an aged tin a few months back. Only opened it last week and wow! Wish I had purchased 10 or more! The price was basically the same for a non-aged stuff also so what a bonus that was :)

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Smoke it! I'm a huge fan of Capstan, both new and slightly aged (5 yrs). I've got enough in the cellar to last awhile, so I can't wait to try these in 10-20 yrs. I like the yellow, but the blue? Mmmmmmm.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
I vouch for the 2013 Capstan Gold Ready Rubbed. It is a nice virginia that isn't only ready rubbed, but also readily available!

Status
Not open for further replies.