PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearded_gumby

Lurker
Nov 20, 2020
Charleston, SC
Sometimes my insomnia serves me well; as I can enjoy quiet evenings on the couch lurking through the depths of the internet in search of Un-obtainium. I was perusing my lesser frequented haunts and discovered that tinderbox had the prized butera kingfisher. I was elated to learn they had two tins available and at a price well below any of the resale/consignment sites. After a few days of interrogating my mailman and constantly refreshing the Usps tracking my tins arrived. Now as this is a blend I have never seen/smoked personally and have only enviously watched opening and tasting videos I was fairly taken aback when my tins arrived....round!? My mind raced...Did I receive fakes? The stickers all appear to be legit and don’t seem like someone picked them from an old empty tin only to affix them to a can chock full o’ nuts. The lids are concave so they appear to be sealed correctly. Even if I did pop them open I wouldn’t be able to determine if what I received was the sweet up remnants of various blends from the factory. I’m here reaching out for the infinite wisdom of the herd to gather any information as to the curiousness of this packaging.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 14

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know the blend nor the probability that it could be a knock-off, but I do know that blenders seem to have gone entirely to the round tins in most cases, as with the Peterson blends that used to come in rectangular tins that now come in round ones, even the flake cut. I think it is cheaper to have all one shape tin for all blends, and it has long been suspect that the round tins stay sealed better. So I think the probabilities are that you got the right blend and the right cut.

Reactions: anotherbob

Bearded_gumby

Lurker
Nov 20, 2020
Charleston, SC
I don't know the blend nor the probability that it could be a knock-off, but I do know that blenders seem to have gone entirely to the round tins in most cases, as with the Peterson blends that used to come in rectangular tins that now come in round ones, even the flake cut. I think it is cheaper to have all one shape tin for all blends, and it has long been suspect that the round tins stay sealed better. So I think the probabilities are that you got the right blend and the right cut.
I have heard many of the complaints that the square tins don’t keep seal especially while deep cellaring like the threaded and vacuumed round tins.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Kingfisher is in extremely limited production. All the latest Germain blends are round as well but with square stickers.

Reactions: Bearded_gumby
Status
Not open for further replies.