PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Like many other things, boat prices are inflated right now. I certainly wouldn't buy a new one. If you're really committed to buying one, shop around until you can get a great deal on a used one. A steal. Otherwise, just wait.

That's the sensible advice. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket you're not going to miss, go for it. Just do it knowing boats have to be one of the worst investments on the planet.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Like many other things, boat prices are inflated right now. I certainly wouldn't buy a new one. If you're really committed to buying one, shop around until you can get a great deal on a used one. A steal. Otherwise, just wait.

That's the sensible advice. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket you're not going to miss, go for it. Just do it knowing boats have to be one of the worst investments on the planet.
Oh I know. I went to look at one today. Told the dealer I was considering making a financial mistake, could I get the 19’ with two live wells? I’d be all over a gently used one. I might be able to find one down south. Used cc boats are rare up here in the northern part of the state.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Oh I know. I went to look at one today. Told the dealer I was considering making a financial mistake, could I get the 19’ with two live wells? I’d be all over a gently used one. I might be able to find one down south. Used cc boats are rare up here in the northern part of the state.
It would likely be worth your time to make a long drive then.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I was lucky to inherit my boat from my dad. I’m the fourth generation to own it. Little 14’ aluminum semi-v job, needs some transom work before I can mount the outboard (1974 15hp Johnson or a 2016 merc 8hp 4stroke) so I’m stuck with just the trolling motor for now, which is fine since the closest lakes to me are electric only. No live wells, just some comfy seats, rod holders, a sonar, and it floats. All I need to catch fish and be happy, and I take it out at least once a week, often more.

I keep an eye on the used market, and you’d be surprised what pops up. Sign up to a few local fishing forums if you can find them and let people know what you’re looking for. Buying a new boat is, unless you have the extra money, a little nuts considering what you can get one used for. It seems like a lot of guys buy something shiny fast and new and end up having to offload it after a year or two, or they move and need to be rid of it. I’ve seen nice 16’ console lunds, with the outboard, go for less than the outboard itself is worth.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
We all know this tournament thing is a rouse. Get the boat, because you know you want it.
I can back a cattle trailer to a dime, cargo trailers, RV, any trailer. But, for some reason backing a boat trailer turns me into a cussing, fuming, Neanderthal.

Same. Well, I’m actually great at it unless someone is watching. Same thing for loading/unloading the boat (I don’t have a trailer I can drive the boat on, and often am going solo). As long as no one is there to see, everything goes smooth. As soon as someone starts watching though, it looks like a monkey fucking a football and I end up getting wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.