New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great thread. It's interesting to see the recipes from all over. I don't have access to mackerel, but I use different recipes depending on the fish.
Pond catfish and crappie get the same recipe. Except I only use buttermilk for catfish and sweet milk for crappie, but it has flour, cornmeal, and some Louisiana brand Cajun Seasoning. I will "BAM" it up a little with an extra dash of my homegrown crushed peppers.
Bass and bream, I skip the cornmeal and add some lemon zest, garlic and onion powder, and a good portion of crushed almonds.
But, I'd prefer to grill the bass.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Most everyone on this thread seems to confuse breading with batter. Here's my batter recipe:
1 cup flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 tablespoon cider vinegar

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons Old Bay

and enough water until this turns into a batter that easy sticks to the back of a spoon
Drench fish in batter and deep fry.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Most everyone on this thread seems to confuse breading with batter. Here's my batter recipe:
1 cup flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 tablespoon cider vinegar

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons Old Bay

and enough water until this turns into a batter that easy sticks to the back of a spoon
Drench fish in batter and deep fry.
Sounds great. But when I am lazy, boxed pancake mix, bubbly soda & seasoning that fulfills your need at the moment.

But.. will print & try yours.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
But.. will print & try yours.
It's just like making the pancake batter you describe in terms of difficulty; I forgot to add one thing though, as with any battered fish, lightly dust the fish in flour first or the batter won't stick to it when you deep fry it...i.e., it gives something for the batter to bond to. It's really really easy to make...takes me 5 minutes or less to throw it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.