PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I’ve noticed that there have been threads about Fischer pipes here before and there have been Fischer pipe collectors lurking here. The pipedia entry on Fischers is somewhat incoherent in places. It’s clear that the Buffalo stamp gets you to the early 60’s and the House of Fischer handmade Buffalo shop. What’s unclear is if Art Fischer made any pipes at his house throughout the 60s and 70s or if they were all fashioned by Weber and stamped as Fischer without the Buffalo (after he sold the shop). Some of the Fischers I’ve seen that don’t have Buffalo on them still look pretty nice but it’s hard to tell as I don’t have one in my hands (and I’m just judging from internet pics). Specifically, I’m wondering if there are grades of non-Buffalo ones that are free of fills and that have nice qualities or are high quality generally.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I acquired a few citations regarding The House of Fischer (pipes) from an acquaintance. The one attached provides evidence Arthur Fischer was in the saddle through, at least, 1969. I have seen nothing indicating Weber made pipes under the Fischer name.

Attachments

• House of Fischer article.pdf
    486.1 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: milk

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ve noticed that there have been threads about Fischer pipes here before and there have been Fischer pipe collectors lurking here. The pipedia entry on Fischers is somewhat incoherent in places. It’s clear that the Buffalo stamp gets you to the early 60’s and the House of Fischer handmade Buffalo shop. What’s unclear is if Art Fischer made any pipes at his house throughout the 60s and 70s or if they were all fashioned by Weber and stamped as Fischer without the Buffalo (after he sold the shop). Some of the Fischers I’ve seen that don’t have Buffalo on them still look pretty nice but it’s hard to tell as I don’t have one in my hands (and I’m just judging from internet pics). Specifically, I’m wondering if there are grades of non-Buffalo ones that are free of fills and that have nice qualities or are high quality generally.
I only own one Fischer Buffalo made pipe and it’s excellent, in all aspects.

62CDE048-ECAE-441D-87A2-6CEEB1301698.jpeg

Whether later pipes were to the same high standards as those made in Buffalo I have no idea.

But I’m convinced Fischer is a neglected brand name among pipe smokers and deserves more recognition.

Reactions: milk

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I acquired a few citations regarding The House of Fischer (pipes) from an acquaintance. The one attached provides evidence Arthur Fischer was in the saddle through, at least, 1969. I have seen nothing indicating Weber made pipes under the Fischer name.
Thanks. That’s very informative. I wish we could know something about the pipes missing the Buffalo stamp, besides that they aren’t definitely from earlier days. There are a lot of them and they don’t look shoddy, at least the few I’ve seen knocking around.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I have handled a number of Fischers over the past few years and do not remember ever seeing the buffalo stamp. Maybe a memory thing... not sure. However, all the Fischers that passed through my hands were well made pipes. Plain looking/traditional, but well made.

Reactions: milk and Briar Lee

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Was Art Fischer in Buffalo, N.Y., or was the buffalo just his logo. Where was he located? I've never seen a Buffalo pipe in person or online before. It looks extra sturdy, maybe a little heavy. That's one of the heftier looking Canadians i've seen.

Defunct pipe brands are numerous. Sort of like defunct automobile brands. Remember the Reo, the Studebaker Electric, the Hupmobile, the Nash Rambler, the Packard, the DeSoto, the Hudson, the Mercury, the Austin Healy, the Henry J. ....

Reactions: milk and Briar Lee

Pipeoff

Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
There is a lot of confusion about Fischer pipes even on Pipedia. The Buffalo N Y Fischer shop was founded in the late 1800’s by Gustave A. Fischer in Buffalo, NY closed in late 1950’s. Arthur Fischer his grandson founded House of Fischer at his home in Orchard Park suburb. see attached bill dated 1916,replacement bit 20 cents. Gustav Fischer of Boston, MA. Also a meer carver of the same era was not related.7EDBDE8C-B640-4B62-8592-8604616F78A7.jpeg

Pipeoff

Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Added Fischer info. ref. House of Fischer. Some of my early pipes came from Art’s shop located in a den at his home. From the 1960’s until he retired sometime in 1978. His shop pipes we factory made graded by quality of grain. Attached is a photo of a Fischer logo Buffalo, NY bench made named Texan with shape Reg. US pat. Office.

Attachments

• 5BEB8E31-5B66-49B9-B900-C344BBEA7C27.jpeg
    5BEB8E31-5B66-49B9-B900-C344BBEA7C27.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 5
  • 9C82CEFD-3BDD-4FCC-BC60-1D566CEBFFDE.jpeg
    9C82CEFD-3BDD-4FCC-BC60-1D566CEBFFDE.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 5

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Added Fischer info. ref. House of Fischer. Some of my early pipes came from Art’s shop located in a den at his home. From the 1960’s until he retired sometime in 1978. His shop pipes we factory made graded by quality of grain. Attached is a photo of a Fischer logo Buffalo, NY bench made named Texan with shape Reg. US pat. Office.
Where was the factory?

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I should qualify my question. Some say Weber made them. But I’m wondering about quality. If they were no longer hand made, then the quality is an issue. I see so many without the Buffalo stamp but some look quite nice - on the other hand.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
There is a lot of confusion about Fischer pipes even on Pipedia. The Buffalo N Y Fischer shop was founded in the late 1800’s by Gustave A. Fischer in Buffalo, NY closed in late 1950’s. Arthur Fischer his grandson founded House of Fischer at his home in Orchard Park suburb. see attached bill dated 1916,replacement bit 20 cents. Gustav Fischer of Boston, MA. Also a meer carver of the same era was not related.View attachment 201434
Would these happen to be Gustave A. Fischer pipes then bro? Both meers are unmarked but the cases say G.A.F own make

3CD803B8-09E4-4314-9F1A-2207B07402D9.jpeg

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Seems likely, brother. Another article I acquired authored by By Ben Rapaport...

"Fischer, Gustav A., Buffalo, was born at Ruhla, Saxony, Germany, August 30, 1865, a son of August and Lisetta (Deusing) Fischer, and emigrated to America with his parents when quite young, settling in Brooklyn, N.Y. His first business experience was in the manufacture of meerschaum and briar pipes. They conducted a large business in various cities until June 1892, when they removed to Buffalo, where he is now engaged in business for himself. Living in Brooklyn, August G. worked for WDC, while Gustave A. apprenticed in meerschaum. (It’s possible that August G. produced many of the WDC-carved meerschaums in circulation today.) The family relocated to Rochester for a few years and, in 1892, resettled in Buffalo. Their first pipe shop was at 351 Main St., Ellicott Square, and at a time at 61 Broadway; the firm’s letterhead April 25, 1913, reads: “Gustave A. Fischer, Manufacturer of Meerschaum, Amber and Briar Goods, 13 East Genesee Street, Buffalo, Established 1892.” By 1934, the shop at 15 West Eagle St. was the only one between New York and Cleveland still working with meerschaum and amber. It later relocated to various addresses in Orchard Park, the last at 6226 Boston Ridge Road (The Hamburg Sun, July 12, 1956, 1)."

Pipeoff

Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Would these happen to be Gustave A. Fischer pipes then bro? Both meers are unmarked but the cases say G.A.F own make

View attachment 201549
Consulted local shop owner near Buffalo who has a large collection of meers and a reference library. He is sure that your pipes were made by Fischer. The stem material on the Cavalier would indicate probably dates about 1950’s just before store closed. Art Fischer when he moved to Orchard Park, did not make meers. Also briars marked Buffalo used the same grade names except patent Texan.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Consulted local shop owner near Buffalo who has a large collection of meers and a reference library. He is sure that your pipes were made by Fischer. The stem material on the Cavalier would indicate probably dates about 1950’s just before store closed. Art Fischer when he moved to Orchard Park, did not make meers. Also briars marked Buffalo used the same grade names except patent Texan.
Thank you bro. Yes I felt the cavalier was mid-century, with the egg being earlier.