First try of Penzance, what drink to pair with it?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
Pretty excited. Trying this blend for the first time. Want to make something special out of it. I am in the city of Montreal Canada for work, and am headed to a smoking lounge that serves alcohol. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Montreal could well be the epicentre for craft brew
Bide thee time well and check out the ballet

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
For the first time with any pipe tobacco or cigar, I just drink room temp water. It helps me pick out all the flavors. Later, I may try pairing it with a number of various drinks.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
A lot of the pipe dudes in here don’t recommend booze and smoking together , maybe after. Others say tea is pretty good , like lapsang douchbag , others like root beer .
Me , i would just go naked , if the pub is ok with it , although sometimes the gentlemen complain .

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
Thank you Gentlemen, just arrived and going to take a bit of everyone's advice. Water with the bowl , order the port, and then get to trying the local beer with subsequent bowls of different stuff. Genuinely excited...:) have a great day all!

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Where is said lounge of smokey comestibles tolerance located ?

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
City of Montreal Canada, I am a tourist, so can't name the district, but the place is called Stogies and is on the corner of Masoneuve and Crescent. It has this guy looking down upon it... (accept my apologies I tried to post a picture of the giant mural of Leonard Cohen on the building opposite,but have failed!)

techie

Jul 20, 2018
I just tried Penzance last week for the first time, aged 6 years. I was impressed by it. Hope you have an equally good experience!

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Next time I’m in town checking out the maudite , I got to swing by stogies .

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
What techie said^^^^. Pretty good, but not spectacular....and now that I have more than a bowl full...meh.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I would say water or a light brewed tea. Most pipe tobacco won't stand up well to port. Perhaps a Chardonnay or lighter Merlot. A lighter bodied beer should be fine as well.

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
Was a very pleasant experience overall. My politeness got me hijacked into a conversation, well actually listening to a monologue would be more accurate, but I enjoyed the bowl nonetheless. (had a glass of water with it), it is certainly a nice tobacco. I can see how people clamor for it. I haven't had anything quite the same before. I enjoyed it and would buy some if it were available to me, but probably won't go in hot pursuit of it. Still have enough left for another bowl so we'll see. I also had some margate and "and so to bed" and really enjoyed these as well. These were of my own stock and I am looking forward to enjoying them again when the mood strikes!

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Water is best. Stories is a cool place. Very laid back. There is another cigar lounge near the university. Casa something. I preferred stogies though.

Status
Not open for further replies.