PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Just figured out that what I first bought a d initially fell in love with wasn't labeled just "oriental" but English oriental Supreme. The description on an old old baggie I discovered lines up to make me believe it was PS English Oriental Supreme. I'm so pleased I figured that out because I always wondered what it was but didn't know enough brands etc for years. Excited to pick some up if I can find it to see if it's the magical elixir that I found it to be as a pipe-virgin. I'm guessing I may be pleased but not in love with it.

Reactions: WVOldFart

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Just figured out that what I first bought a d initially fell in love with wasn't labeled just "oriental" but English oriental Supreme. The description on an old old baggie I discovered lines up to make me believe it was PS English Oriental Supreme. I'm so pleased I figured that out because I always wondered what it was but didn't know enough brands etc for years. Excited to pick some up if I can find it to see if it's the magical elixir that I found it to be as a pipe-virgin. I'm guessing I may be pleased but not in love with it.
If it is PS English Oriental Supreme, you will not be disappointed.

Reactions: Verdant

AuroraSurrealis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2019
Finland
The first pipe tobacco I ever bought was Red Lion by Rattray. It’s basically an Old Dublin clone which was introduced at the time when K&K quit manufacturing Peterson tobaccos. I’ve pondered that maybe I should revisit it some day to see how things have changed.

eslavs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2019
Sarasota, Florida
Captain Black regular. It was the first....and it was the last time I had it.

The second was Newminster's Blackberry Brandy. I keep a small amount on hand and go to it every now and then....for old time's sake.

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
The first baccy I bought was a tin Samuel Gawith’s Squadron Leader and a tin of their Black Cherry from The Pipe Shop Edinburgh.
I still have some Black Cherry left, however have went through numerous tins of Squadron Leader. A great introduction to English Blends ?
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
My very first was a packet of Holger Dansk Mango and Vanilla - I thought it was pleasant at the time, but then rebought it years later to find it quite sticky, wet and not particularly pleasant.

I have been tempted to try the Solani Mango to see if it evokes some nostalgia.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
I finished all seven pages of this thread and I can't remember if it's about the the first thing or first pipe tobacco I smoked.

Starting with the former, we have dried oak leaves rolled in loose leaf paper. Boy Scout camp led to all sorts of things involving fire.

The latter was soooo much better. Presbyterian and Nightcap.
I've only been smoking pipes for two months so I'm still smoking them.

Es0teric

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2021
Downriver Area of Michigan
If I am not mistaken the first pipe tobacco I ever purchased and smoked was Sutliff Vanilla Custard. I bought it because a local tobacco shop had it and it smelled so good. I did enjoy a few bowls of it at first but it quickly went to the back burner once I started trying non-aromatics. I do not smoke it anymore, I tend to not enjoy aromatics very much.