PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsongruber

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2015
Caracas, Venezuela
Started smoking pipes recently and already loving it.
I´m planning my first tobacco purchase and have the following in the cart:
Peterson Nutty Cut - 1.76 OZ TIN

Sutliff Private Stock Molto Dolce - 1.5 OZ CAN

CAO Sampler Pack - 3x 1.76OZ TINS

Lane BCA - 2 OZ bulk

Lane RLP-6 - 2 OZ bulk

McClelland Craftsbury Collection Frog Morton's Cellar - 1.76 OZ TIN
Yes, I like aromatics (the almighty queen likes them), but I recently found "pipesandcigars.com - Best of the Rest Pipe Tobacco" and got intrigued by it.
I understand that it´s a house blend and the one you buy this month is different to previews month and all but I wanted to hear if you have tried it and if you recommend it?
Also hear your opinion on what I´m planning to buy.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Best of the Rest is where P&C puts odds and ends from all tobacco sold. When they pack up an order of bulk and some falls out on the table while weighing and bagging an order it gets thrown in the best of the rest bin. It is a mix of everything that is sold as bulk so aros, english, whatever ends up in the bin. So could be tasty, could be nasty, just a complete wild card on how it will taste. Probably more aros than non aros in the mix since aros sell more than non aros. It will never be the same month to month, heck even day by day. The other bad point is you have to buy a pound at a time so...... do ya fell lucky??? :twisted:

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I would avoid Best of the Rest and just buy samples of other aros. You have some nice ones in your order and I might add some Lane 1-Q and maybe some Peter Stokkebye's bulk aros like Nougat.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
I bought a pound of best of the rest last year and thought it was decent. Mine had a very very low kind of mystery fruitiness to it. I would call it a very light aromatic. Not sure how much it changes from time to time as it is ordered. I only bought one pound and got interested in other blends and so I have it cellared for a year now. Mine didn't seem to contain Latakia.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Your REAL blends are good choices. The Best of the Rest is clearly NOT a blend in the truest sense; it is whatever was on the bench (floor?) at the end of the day. I got one batch about two years ago that was amazing but alas it could not possibly be reproduced. A shame. It is a crap shoot...

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I would consider bulk offerings. C&D, Stokkebye, 4noggins and others offer good aromatic offerings by the ounce/pound which can be both price-efficient and favorites. Consider some aro-like naturals and semi-aromatics too, perhaps, because some of those achieve the same taste profile without as much of the added flavoring.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I'd avoid Best of the Rest. Its intention is for those on a strict budget who want to smoke but can't afford to spend much on a monthly basis. It's working on a principal of "any tobacco is better than no tobacco".

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Best of the Rest, in my opinion results in a full pound of eminently smokeable quality tobacco. I've ordered it twice now and I don't smoke aromatics. It seems to improve with age as it's flavors meld in the 'tin' over time.

I use it both as a mixer and just as it comes. It's 'genre' is undefinable but MINE seems to have had mostly burleys and virginia tobaccos along with some flavored cavs and little or no Latakia. Give it air time and enjoy the best cheap tobacco you can buy.

By the way...today is the last day of Smoking Pipes sale on C&D bulk blends wherein you can get a full pound of their quality tobaccos for just over $25.00. Considering that a tub of Carter Hall or Prince Albert (14 oz.) is about $34.00...it's a heck of a 'deal'.

Join the Pax October tobacco crawl which features 4 blends by G. L. Pease and get it from Smoking Pipes, and order up some of that C&D stuff while your at it.

Your taste buds and palate will change over time. Variety is the spice of life. Typically on this board/forum, folks who start out enjoying heavily cased or top flavored tobacco gravitate toward a more pure tobacco as their palates mature.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
I think what you have in your cart is a great cellar start. I have always been interested in the Best of the rest from P&C let us know if you end up going for it!

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
Depending on where you're at, I'd suggest hitting up a local B&M

If they have jars, dig around and smell...sample a ton, and be sure to drill the B&M workers of what types of tobaccos make up the blends you like

jphalabuk

Lurker
Sep 30, 2015
I am also new, but i second the Lane 1Q. If you like the Peterson's stuff, i am currently loving their Sunset Breeze.

nelsongruber

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2015
Caracas, Venezuela
I had to reduce my cart due to import regulations (I´m from Caracas, Venezuela) and I ended up buying this:
Sutliff Private Stock Molto Dolce - 3x 1.5 OZ Can

Scotty's Butternut Burley - 4 OZ Bulk

Lane BCA - 2 OZ Bulk

Lane RLP-6 - 2 OZ Bulk

CAO Eileens Dream - 1.76 OZ Can

CAO Moontrance - 1.76 OZ Can

CAO Black - 1.76 OZ Can

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
If you like aro try Peter stockkeye's cherry bon bon, cult red bold moon, 4 noggin butternut barley. I would also recommend Frog Morton Cellar.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
All the Frog Morton blends are good, but Cellar is the favorite of many including myself. I smoke a bowl almost every day.

nelsongruber

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2015
Caracas, Venezuela
The order arrived! Time to smoke!
BTW a coupon for 20% off if you spend 100$ At P&C came with my order that I'm not going to use, if anyone wants it just shoot me a PM...

Status
Not open for further replies.