PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
I grew a moustache in '69, and stopped shaving altogether with a full beard in '77.

Nowadays, the single edge models prevent all manner of cuts. I order from Harrys.com

But, hey, go with the retro products... and use toilet paper to stop the bleeding.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I grew a moustache in '69, and stopped shaving altogether with a full beard in '77.

Nowadays, the single edge models prevent all manner of cuts. I order from Harrys.com

But, hey, go with the retro products... and use toilet paper to stop the bleeding.
In all honesty I find it so much easier to trim up the hairline and side burns with a single blade versus a multi-blade with a lubricating strip. One thing I hated when trimming up my beard was getting the neckline right using a multi-blade razor - damn strip just got in the way of the blades. No beard now though due to work (sucks, but whatever).
Another thing that was interesting is how much better it is on the skin. I have super sensitive skin and get razor burn very easily, but I can do 2-3 passes with a safety razor and no issue so far. I do get the occasional weepers on my chin when going against the grain but that’s just because I use too much pressure at times.
Def has some drawbacks though. It’s only beneficial for me cause I shave the night before - if I had to shave in the morning I would never have the time to properly shave with it because I sleep in as long as possible. That’s why I still keep the cartridge razor on hand.
To each their own. Using a safety razor is much cheaper and a better shave for me though.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
In case your interested I did an article about webshave club - and one of the guys who drops in some of the product.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-smoking-lifestyle/wet-shaving-pipes-and-gentlemanly-pursuits/
Unfortunately, it looks like wetshave club went under which was a shame they sourced some pretty good stuff.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I enjoy my straight razors, and safety razors. I love shaving with my Dbl Duck, my Dovos, a 200 year old G. Johnson with horn handles, Gillettes, and so on. I last added a discontinued Merkur 11C to the line up.
img_20170723_190705.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Nice collection there! I have more safety razors than I can count. I pick up razors when I see them in antique shops all the time. I probably have more DE safety razors than a lot of guys have pipes. Some are expensive, like my Merkur Futur adjustable. Paid quite a bit for it when they just came out, then didn't enjoy the shave from it as much as I'd hoped.
71V9UguI0RL._SX522_.jpg

So I then got into the antique market and found so many good old safety razors that I'll never buy new again. Of course, it's like pipe collecting. The second you buy one to fill a hole in the collection, you find another unicorn you're after. :rofl:

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Been shaving with DE Merkur and Feather blades for about 6 or 7 years, best combo for me. Used Proraso sandalwood and some fancy rose smelling stuff from England until my wife got into soap making, been using homemade shave soap for a few years now (Kaolin clay, tea tree oil, sandalwood mix in a high quality base). Don't use a brush anymore, just rub on face for 20-30 seconds and start shaving. Splash of Bonner's rose witch hazel is a must prior to aftershave, really soothes face.
If you're not careful, the "art of shaving" is a very deep rabbit hole.

arvetus

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2018
I started wet shaving with a DE safety razor about 6 or 7 years ago and haven't looked back. My face skin thanks me. I sport a goatee and some burns, but that's it. Used to do chops, but not as good as the muttnchop piper. :)
I have a couple vintage Gillette adjustables (one with a longer black handle and stubby nickel plated). I set the dial to a 5 and go. I have a "new" non-adjustable DE razor, but I find that it doesn't shave as close as the old Gillettes because the blade isn't as exposed. So it just sits there while the 40 year old old Gillettes just keep on working.
I use the 7-o'clock sharpedge (yellow) blades that are made in St. Petersberg. I found Tabac shave soap and aftershave and haven't looked back. Been wanting to try Taylor of Bond St. soap, but Tabac is so good, I'm afraid to try something else.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
Switched to DE’s several years ago. Now I mostly use a modern single edge razor called the OneBlade. It was an expensive purchase but I use Gem blades in it now and they last forever and are cheap.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
I haven't read all the posts, BUT, my 2 recommendations are:
1. Buy Proraso (tube).

2. Buy German blades.
YMMV.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
First safety razor was from Hoffritz in NYC in 1986.Still have it,and use it on occasion.Have a bump on left side of my face now,.so need to be careful. I normally use a three blader now.

The Hoffritz is made so that it puts a slant on the blade,slicing the whisker from the side,instead of just pulling it.A. beautiful piece of work.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
Whatever equipment one uses, the best general principle is to warm the skin and keep cool the blade, i.e., rinsing it with cold water.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just wanted to mention, a safety razor was what I took into the Navy thinking I might not always or often have access to an electric outlet and having used a safety razor before. This was 1968. Mostly, that was what I used. I don't think I every caught up with my electric razor all four years enlisted. I always used the canned soap. I could never generate enough volume with a shaving mug and brush, or not as quickly as I needed to. Hot water was variable. But the safety razor always did the job with the canned soap. Those two-edged blades cost almost nothing.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Switched many years ago, save money, better shave. There is a great little store close to my home, best shave shop I've seen! Maggard Razors, you cant find it there, you don't need it. Have a great website too!

Status
Not open for further replies.