PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
I feel like it might be a bit pointless to review a blend from a blender that is no longer in the business, but It was my first time trying 5100 and I still wanted to get my thoughts out. This afternoon I received a package in the mail containing some tobacco I purchased from craig61a (Thank you by the way. It was packaged very nicely). Having started smoking after McClelland's departure from the business I have heard a multitude about their blends, but haven't ben able to try any of them. 5100 is one that piqued my interest so when the opportunity to snag some came up, I jumped at it. Anyways, the package showed up so I immediately grabbed some of 5100 out and opened one up. I was greeted with the musty ketchup like aroma I have heard so much about. The ketchup wasn't the only thing I could smell. I also picked up vinegar and woody scent with vague hints of hay. I've heard many say this blend was very wet, but I believe what I had to be close to the perfect amount of moisture. I packed a bowl into a recently acquired spindle shaped MM cob and stepped onto the back patio. I got the bowl going and man... It was good. Right off the bat I was getting a plethora of a sweet, tangy ketchup like flavor. It seemed like the tin note really carried through into the smoke. As I kept going I also noticed an earthy kind of taste that I cant really put my finger on, as well as the occasional muted note of hay. The flavor stayed strong and true for the vast majority of the bowl which was surprising, as I ended up getting the pipe a bit too hot. It smoked smooth and cool for the most part, but I was enjoying the smoke so much that I wasn't keeping a steady cadence. Instead of "sipping" I ended up "chugging" the smoke. I honestly did not expect to enjoy flavor as much as I did. In my humble opinion McClelland's 5100 red cake is a tasty, tangy blend that will leave you with a wonderful lingering aftertaste. It's a shame that it is no longer being produced as I could see myself wanting to be a mainstay in my smoking line-up. I'll have to do some research and see if there happens to be anything still being produced that tastes similar. I have enough to last me for a bit yet at the rate the I smoke, but I will run out eventually.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Great review and spot on with the tasting notes. I also get a slight cinnamon note in the smoke that I have never tasted in any other tobacco.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You've captured a piece of history. The couple that ran McClelland did something distinct and unique, centered on sourcing their tobacco in a knowledgable and discriminating way that is not easy (or maybe possible) to duplicate in a larger, less closely held operation. I have several of their blends I will eventually enjoy, with plenty of age on it to accentuate its virtues. We will not see their like again.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I'm smoking some from 2011 right now. I guess the thing that strikes me the most is that the typical "Red Virginia" flavor of most other blends is somewhat subdued, there's somewhat of a floral sweetness, and a slight hint of Indian Curry... If that makes any sense.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
It's good stuff. I've got about a pound left, so I don't use it for blending any more. I used to love it 50/50 with burleys and a touch of unflavored black cavendish.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Glad you got a chance to experience 5100 and now have that point of reference.

Back in the day 5100 never got a second glance as it was so easily available and thus taken for granted. Now, like Syrian Latakia, McClelland quality red Virginias are gone forever.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think of the demise of McClelland came as a shock to many, certainly to me. I never even thought it would happen. Of all the reasons they gave, I think wanting to retire was foremost.

Status
Not open for further replies.