PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I have had a tin of FVF for about 7-8 month there sitting on the shelf.

Not a tin actually, I had already transferred the content in a airtight container.

It was just there, miserable. Why? Probably because of the smell. I gotta say, I don't find the tin smell to be much of anything. To be it was just old leather. Some people smell berries and stuff. I don't, really.
Anyway, 2 things happened recently. The first being Tim massive share of very old FVF, it for me thinking that maybe that blend is worth it's money and I am just a stubborn idiot.

The second being about the cut. These thin sticky brown flake didn't appeal to me. I had an experience with them in the past, and I really didn't enjoy smoking it. I found flakes to be really hard to smoke, and for awhile, I just didn't smoke any. But recently I have been advised to cube cut the whole thing, which I did. And here is the result.
Just had my first ever bowl of FVF in a random bent Capitol. I really didn't expect it to be that good. I loaded the machine up. Lit it up and sat my butt on a bench park.

Man am I glad I smoked that ? Yes indeed! I was just really really nice. Very fruity, very sweet, very mellow.

Here was the Virginia sweetness that I have been hearing so much about, that I think I experienced before but not sure. Here it was crystal clear. It was right there, it was amazing.
Only the first half of the bowl though. For some reason, the second half didn't do it for me that much.
So there it is, first exceadingly (half bowl) satisfying Virginia experience. They haven't all been like that. Maybe it's the 7 months on the shelf, maybe it's just because it's great, maybe...

Mar 1, 2014
Virginia tobacco seems like a strange creature.

The lengendary "Ketchupy" McClelland VA required over five samples before I got something that tasted like anything other than starch.

I probably just needed to give the stuff that I had more time in the jar, but of course that doesn't fix your curiosity for the years between buying it and trying it later.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I have a few blends that I started trying several months in, correctly dried and cut. They're nicer than what they were before and definitely nicer than what I could enjoy before, so really, just a big win-win.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
It's nice that you'll have this experience to compare to the 10 year old FVF that's on the way. My first virginia experience was with some really old FVF. I liked it and thought that all virginias were that good. Unfortunately, when my first tin of fresh FVF arrived I was a little disappointed.
Many of my "first experiences" were like this. I have a friend who kept toss nicely aged tobacco at me when I first started. It was all really good, but at the same time probably too good for me just starting out.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Haven't tried it yet, I have a few tins in the Cellar. Guess I'll open it next summer. Virginias are better in the summer.IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.