PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
So I just had my annual physical, first time with a new doctor. The medical history form actually does include an item for tobacco use, and specifically mentions pipes and cigars, and the campus is now a "no tobacco use" area, so I was wondering what I might be letting myself in for...
I went ahead and filled it in honestly - 1-2 bowls per week, been smoking for about a year. And the doctor didn't say a word about it. Asked about alcohol consumption, then about any other drugs (prescription, OTC, other) - but again, not a word when I mentioned a weekly bowl of tobacco.
I think I'm going to like this doctor. :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I would call yours truly marginal tobacco use. If I were a medical person, I wouldn't waste my credibility

with you trying to make you quit. There might be others issues on which I would want to win your

compliance; if I prescribed drugs or any preventative measures, I'd rather use my clout trying to get you

to do that. So I think it is intelligent on the part of your doctor, whether or not it is standard recommended

practice.

Cool!! My doctor gave me a pat on the back for switching from cigarettes to the pipe, and my dentist wanted to talk "pipes" while I was visiting him last. And, I have a regular customer in my shop who is an oncologist, who asked me about the pipes on my workbench. Her words of admonishment was to tell me that she'd much rather treat mouth cancer than lung cancer. So far, that has been the worst words from the medical profession that I've gotten.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think you need to be completely honest with your doctor at all times, but I do not think you need to fill out forms that are on your permanent record that follow you every where. My doctor knows I smoke a pipe but I asked him to leave my pi[e smoking between ourselves, and he was fine with that.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I had cervical spine surgery last week, and when my doctor checked me out, he told me to go home, smoke a pipe and relax.
The pediatrician not only overreacted, she's also ill informed. The second hand smoke studies are largely poppycock.

doctoronln9

Lurker
Oct 23, 2013
My girl works for a insurance company that I won't name, but if your insurance comes from a corporate job, there's a real good chance you have it. Simply checking smoking, even if it's a single cigarette a month, raises your premium and it's only going up. What makes it worse is that a lot of companies are beginning nicotine testing. That means that people trying to quit via eCigarettes, patches, gum, etc. also fall under the same vein as pack-a-day smokers. If your doc is the kind who'll take a wink and nod to your pipe smoking, awesome! I wouldn't risk it myself.
On a side note, when I was in premed, I always found it hilarious that 80% of the class used tobacco and all the professors were cigar-a-day, chew or cigarette user.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
My wife's doctor was worried about any guns in the house. (Talk about intrusive). Being the gal that she is, she told the doctor that wasn't a concern. Neither yes or no, tactful, huh?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Work in healthcare for a week and you,ll quickly understand why everyone smokes, drinks, or both

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I'm very honest with my doctor and I've told him in the past that I have 1-2 cigars a week and/or 1-3 pipes a week. In the past he's never said anything about it, and the last time I was in I asked him what his opinion was of my use. He basically said that he didn't encourage the behavior, but he wasn't going to tell me what to do as I am a responsible adult and capable of making my own decisions. Now one could take that response one of two ways, but my thought is that if he didn't feel I should be enjoying a pipe or a cigar then he would have come out and directly stated I needed to quit. If I was smoking more frequently or daily then I think he would be advising me differently, but because my intake is fairly low I don't think he has a problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.