PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I’ve had pneumonia, and I have not had a smoke in a couple of weeks.

I ran across a bag that had contained my order of Luxury Navy Flake. After I had jarred it, I left the “shake” in the bag to smoke and then promptly forgot about it.

The tobacco had dried quite a bit, and was easy to load as it was just small dry bits.

I don’t know if it is because this is dried more than usual, or if it is just because I haven’t had a smoke in a while but WOW is this tasting good right now.

Glad to be smoking again.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think it's both. It shocked me how much better dry tobacco smokes for me. More moist is fine but dry is perfect for me. And also when ever I haven't smoked in a while for what ever reason the first smoke has a insanely high chance of going perfectly great. I don't always smoke on days off so even a three day weekend can make that first tuesday afternoon smoke incredible.

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
@Ryan, Glad you are on the mend....I prefer my 'baccy on the dry side also. I like to load my pipe the night before I smoke it when I can. It could be my imagination, but it seems to me I get more flavor and a better burning bowl with a little extra drying time. :sher:

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Glad to hear you are doing well @Ryan. I hear very often that people on antibiotics have difficulty with taste. It is usually described as 'metallic'. Perhaps the illness and treatment altered your tastebuds, including the period of abstinence.

Reactions: Ryan
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
This thread got me thinking, and perhaps this should be a whole new thread. I wonder if some of the 'super tasters' or very experienced smokers have any opinion on how tobacco flavors change with illness or other life changes?

Sinzalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2022
Wales
Good to hear you're getting better mate and that your taste buds are rejuvenated! Happy smokes puffy

ADKPiper

Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
There was a time when tobacco was recommended for respiratory and sinus issues. Of course they may have still been using leaches at that time as well.
I can say that it does work to an extent for sinus issues. A rinse from time to time with a neti pot and daily pipe smoking has largely alleviated my sinus attacks.

Michigan_Bill

Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
I worked once at a pharmacy that had an old balance (a scale for weighing drugs) which had an advertisement for asthma cigarettes. It must have been a product sold by the pharmacy back in the day.
Very glad the OP is feeling better! Hopefully your taste will return as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good health to you, and good job on waiting until you were well to smoke again.

I recently found a snack baggie with the dregs of a jar of Balkan Sobranie 759 mixed with some D&R Two Timer, just the leavings, that had gotten really dry. I lit it up, and though it had a bit of a sharp edge to it, it burned really well and had rich flavor. That's an extreme case, and I don't recommend the method, but drying is more often beneficial than not, up to point.