Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
image3.jpg

image2.jpg

This is my first smoke in this new Peterson System Ebony "306" fishtail. I smoked PS Cherry Bon Bon.
I really like the pipe and tobacco. It smoked smooth and cool. It did get some "gurgle" though. I am sure the tobacco was too moist but it worked like a charm.
I really like the "Oom Paul" or "Bent Billard" design. It sits easily on the table without the need for a pipe rest.
Do others get a "gurgle" with this kind of pipe or is it the moist tobacco?

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
I have no experience with a Peterson System pipe. Are you able to run a pipe cleaner down in to a system pipe, or flick out the gurgle?

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
I have run a pipe cleaner several times through the air hole and cleaned out the reservoir. It works for a few puffs and then the gurgle is back.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
Probably the best thing to do would be to lay out your tobacco for 30 to 40 min, or heck even over night. Then try smoking it. I find that dryer tobacco smokes better. But that's just me.

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
I guessed the tobacco was too moist. I just did not know if the system pipes tended to gather moisture more than any other pipe.

str8musicman

Lurker
Sep 3, 2013
Los Angeles
I just smoked my Peterson System 312 for the first time yesterday. Also my first system pipe. I really enjoyed it,didn't have any gurgle issue but that may be due to my habit of predicting my next smoke 30 minutes into the future and laying out the tobacco to dry. Enjoy yours and good luck getting a drier smoke next time around.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Since the Systems pipe is a military bit pipe, you can remove the bit WHILE YOU ARE SMOKING, and if you have a lot of moisture, just dump the reservoir, and of course you can always run a pipe cleaner down the bit. Once the bit is removed, running a cleaner down the draft hole is a piece of cake. I enjoy smoking the two Systems pipes I've got, and never had an issue with cleaning them during or after the smoke. Just my 2 cents....

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I can make anything gurgle. Sometimes it's enough for me to knock my knuckle on the shank of the pipe lightly. I used to wonder if the fact that I take them from a 74 degree AC chilled house to the hot, humid Indiana heat causes some of that. But alas I'm just a puffer by nature.
I've really enjoyed slowing down and seeing what different flavors I can get from the tobacco by lights sips and keeping the tobacco cool. I really tried to focus on it once I got my packing and prep methods down.

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Thanks for the comments guys. I am sure the gurgle was more my fault than the pipes. I do tend to be a little over zealous in my puffing. Also, I will make sure and dry my tobacco a little more. I let it sit for 5-10 minuets before packing it but this is a pretty moist aromatic tobacco. I think next time I will pack the pipe and let it sit for a while or over night for the next day. I think I will really like the Peterson System pipe. It hangs nicely and just seems to fit.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Have the same pipe dcrguns and I am always surprised at how much moisture it removes. I do like it though and it smokes very well. Hope yours smokes great for you.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I have 3 System pipes and none of them gurgle, that leads me to think its the tobacco. One thing I always do, with any new pipe, is smoke at least a couple bowls of Carter Hall in them to get the break-in off to a good start. The Peterson System is a well thought out design that , IMO, really does work pretty well! Nice pipe by the way!

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
As others have stated, it is probably the wetness of the tobacco. I have two Peterson system pipes and I use them exclusively for wet aromatic tobacco to prevent gurgle. The system pipes are perfect for aromatic smoking. As an aside, I just came across an UNSMOKED original Sherlock Holmes seven day set with display rack....for those with $2050.00 to spend. :)
http://mkelaw-pipes.com/html/pipee31361.html

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
My pete used to gurgle. 100's of bowls later, the gurgle disappeared. No idea why, but I'm glad. My guess is enough cake soaking up moisture, and seasoning of the briar.
Before that, I would just pull the stem and flick it out with a hard snap of the wrist.
Nice pipe.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
I tend to leave my moister tobaccos out for a few hours. Not just a bowl, the entire pouch to get a good bit of the moisture gone. I dont dry it to smoking condition, just close.

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
I do love this Peterson. In fact, I am going to order another one soon. I will be sure to dry my tobacco more. I should have smoked some 1Q in it first. I had just received the Cherry Bon Bon with my order and the pipe. I wanted to try it and did not follow my normal procedures. :oops:

Dec 24, 2012
Briarfanatic - that Pete 7 day set actually isn't such a bad deal. Those Pete Sherlock pipes are pretty pricey - and to have a 26 year old set like this, unsmoked, with the stand - I do think the price is fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.