East Coast USA
First Smoke of a 1956 Dunhill Shell Briar
4BC97A0F-3E70-4A35-8EE9-CF322D50EA1D.jpeg
LOADED AND READY ☝️
5E84A1ED-493C-461A-B09C-203265E9D70E.jpeg
AWAY WE GO ???
231B292C-7AA2-495C-9544-3E984716DE7E.jpeg
☝️POST SMOKE SPA TREATMENT

What did I think? Well, I loaded her as I would any other and she gave me 45 minutes. There were relights and I was careful to keep the bowl cool. The smoke wasn’t quite as flavorful as my regulars but I’m sure she’ll perform better as we get to know one another.

Is a Dunhill a mind shattering performer? Nope. It’s just another pipe, albeit, this one with a storied 64 year history.

The contemplation of that fact brings a mindfulness to the experience, as well as the aura and mystique that surrounds the brand and it’s creator.

Thoughts swirl like smoke at its previous owner(s) and where it may have been and when.

Do I regret buying one? No.

Will I buy another Dunhill pipe? Perhaps that itch has been scratched. I can’t definitively say no. But for the money there are Stanwells and Pete’s and Savs and ....

But I’m very happy to be this one’s new owner.

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
Beautiful pipe! I have a brand new Dunny sitting at home and I'm contemplating returning it because I was underwhelmed with the quality at 1st glance. That said, I will continue my search for the "right" birth year Dunhill just to have one.

I'm sure as you smoke more Granger through it, it will become seasoned to your favorite tobacco and in turn be more flavorful and enjoyable. Smoke her in good health!

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Beautiful pipe! I have a brand new Dunny sitting at home and I'm contemplating returning it because I was underwhelmed with the quality at 1st glance. That said, I will continue my search for the "right" birth year Dunhill just to have one.

I'm sure as you smoke more Granger through it, it will become seasoned to your favorite tobacco and in turn be more flavorful and enjoyable. Smoke her in good health!
You nailed it! That’s a half jar of granger in the photo and it’s maiden pipeful was non other!

What model of new Dunhill did you get? Curious. And what made you dissatisfied?

Reactions: lightmybriar

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
What model of new Dunhill did you get? Curious. And what made you dissatisfied?

I purchased a new 2018 4117, from Smoking Pipes EU site because they had it in stock and I loved it; my 1st Dunhill. A group 4, Squat Bulldog Cumberland. Kind of a birthday present to myself. I received it last week and was deflated as I looked it over.

Scratch lines over the entire stem, so in my opinion, it was rushed and not made to what I would think Dunhill finish standards should be. I've purchased $50 pipes that had a nicer finished stem.

The rim had a sloppy finish, with orange peel all over. Cloudy and you could also see the scratch pattern of the sanding underneath.

Also, the drilling and bowl coating was very wonky and uneven. the bottom of the drilling looks to be overshot, to me.

They will take it back, no questions asked, but I have to pay the $50 bill to ship it back to Ireland. They claim it was inspected and met their standards before it shipped. They are asking for high resolution photos of my gripes and might consider paying for return shipping if they agree. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but pretty sad, considering the name...

I wouldn't feel right selling it to someone else, so I'll probably try to improve the finish and smoke it if SP-EU doesn't agree with my assessment.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
That’s disheartening to hear. I’d read where although Dunhill still produces some 100,000 pipes per year, 15 percent of which account for the US market, that they may be looking away from pipes and focusing on cigars. Of course, I’d read that in a cigar forum so take that for what it’s worth. But quality control at the prices they ask ....should be like NASA.

Reactions: ebnash

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Ebnash, At the Risk of Hijacking “my own thread” my pipe is also a “Group 4” and I was very surprised at how “small” it actually is!

Below are the dimensions.

FF9D4D85-0A87-4546-B6D9-039DAF6B401B.jpeg

Question: Does what Dunhill considers a Group 4 “today” correspond to what Dunhill considered a Group 4 in 1956?

I can’t imagine what an old time Group 2 Bowl might look like? A Thimble?

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
My 1940 is mind shattering. Quite possibly my best smoker, but George worked on it, so he might have done some magic on it.

Congrats OP. It’s good to have a Dunhill in the collection to at least see what they’re about.

Reactions: Grangerous
Status
Not open for further replies.