Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Hey guys I’ve recently got a new pipe

Now normally as soon as a new pipe arrives on my door step

I’m ripping into the box and I’ve got it packed and

Tamped and ready for a match before I can blink

However this time ... for whatever reason ... I’ve held off

This particular pipe is the savinelli Leonardo davinci collection

It is the most expensive pipe in my collection as of yet (not like it’s 1000.00 dollars or anything)but still higher than what I currently own

And perhaps that is why? Not sure

I feel like I’m waiting for that perfect time to fire her up

Has anyone experienced this or am I just being stupid ? Haha

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
e2df970b-33d9-4655-8a00-46469a7536d4-600x450.jpg

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I'd fire it up. It's not like a cigar that is gone once you smoke it, and pipes get better after they a properly broken in. Then on that special occasion you'll have a great pipe and you can some some special tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe look at some of those artisan pipes and Dunhills online for hundreds of bucks, and that will bring down your over-awed reverence, and then you'll find out just how pleasing your new pipe is when you smoke it, and feel completely satisfied. Yeah, I've stalled on smoking a new pipe. That happened when I bought several pipes in close order, which I hadn't done before, and I won't do again. Better to dive right in, no matter what pipe you buy. Savinelli's are wonderful pipes to me. My wife has bought me some higher end versions, and I have some formerly unfinished ones that, one of which is decades old, and I like their new low-end Rossi pipes too. You will be well-pleased; go for it.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
Put some Carter Hall in that pipe and start getting it broken in.

The sooner you get a carbon layer in the pipe, the sooner you’ll be able to enjoy your favorite blends in it without that funny new pipe taste.

Jan 8, 2013
Has anyone experienced this or am I just being stupid ?
Not stupid at all. I've had a few pipes that I didn't smoke right away. Sometimes they do require that special moment. Even the captain has been known to wait a while.... heck he could buy a pipe today and wait until Christmas to finally fire it up. He's done it! It gets to the point where the suspense is killing the rest of us more than it is him! :rofl: Once you're ready, fire it up. And enjoy the heck out of it!

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
One Christmas many moons ago my stepdaughter sent me a higher end Savinelli. Perhaps because I wasn't fond of the shape I kept it in its box in a drawer. Last year I met a fellow pipester, and gifted it to him. He says it is his favorite. Better lit in his mouth than in a drawer!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have as many unused pipes in holding as I do in rotation. Your call.
If you need an excuse/reason to fire it up, consider the following:
March 23, 2018 – NATIONAL PUPPY DAY – NATIONAL CHIP AND DIP DAY – NATIONAL NEAR MISS DAY – NATIONAL CHIA DAY – NATIONAL MELBA TOAST DAY
NATIONAL PUPPY DAY
Observed each year on March 23rd is National Puppy Day. National Puppy Day will be celebrated on the Friday or Monday closest to March 23rd if that day falls on a weekend.
This day was created to celebrate the magic and unconditional love that puppies bring to our lives. National Puppy Day is also a day to bring awareness to the need for care of and homes for orphaned pups as well as to educate people about the horrors of puppy mills across the country.
HISTORY
National Puppy Day was founded in 2006 by Pet Lifestyle Expert, Animal Behaviorist and Author, Colleen Paige. Paige is also the founder of National Dog Day and National Cat Day.
National Chip and Dip Day - March 23
National Chip And Dip Day, an annual favorite food holiday, is observed every March 23rd. It celebrates a perfect combination loved by many across the country. Chips and dip are a popular party dish as it is not only favored by most but also quick and easy to prepare.
Just a few days earlier on March 14, we celebrate National Potato Chip Day, and now we add a partner, the dip. People have been dipping their food for centuries. Hummus-like recipes date back to the 13th century. These are some of the first “dip” recipes found.
Potato chips are not the only mode of celebrating the day. There are tortilla chips, corn chips, pretzel chips and even popcorn chips to name a few. After you have chosen your chips, there are dozens of dips to partner with them. There are a variety of dips usually made with sour cream, cheeses, salsas, and seasonings. The combinations are endless. Don’t hesitate to mix up your favorite or try something new!
HOW TO OBSERVE
Invite some family and friends over and have a chip and dip party! Enjoy one of the following recipes:
Hot Garlic Garlic Dip

BLT Dip

Velveeta Spicy Cheeseburger Dip

Captain’s Seafood Crab Dip
HISTORY
Our research was unable to find the origin and the creator of National Chip and Dip Day.
NATIONAL NEAR MISS DAY
A massive asteroid (4581 Asclepius) nearly hit the earth in 1989. This day is commemorated annually on March 23 as people across the nation celebrate National Near Miss Day.
On March 22-23, 1989, a mountain-sized asteroid came within 500,000 miles of colliding with the earth. “On the cosmic scale of things, that was a close call,” said Dr. Henry Holt. Geophysicists estimate that collision with Asclepius would release energy comparable to the explosion of a 600 megaton atomic bomb. On March 31, 1989, nine days after its closest approach to Earth, the asteroid was discovered.
A collision would have had catastrophic effects on our planet.
There have been other “near misses” that have happened on an infrequent basis.
HISTORY
Our research has found the reason this day originated. However, we were unable to identify the creator of National Near Miss Day.
NATIONAL CHIA DAY
The Registrar of National Day Calendar has designated March 23rd of each year as National Chia Day. This day recognizes the tiny, yet powerful chia seed that has earned its reputation as being one of the most nutrient-rich foods on the planet. Revered by the Maya and Aztecs for their amazing healing powers and natural energy, chia seeds have become a trusted staple for people around the world and can be enjoyed in many foods and beverages!
High in Omega-3s, antioxidants, fiber and complete protein, chia seeds are neutral in flavor and can be added to virtually any recipe to boost the nutritional profile.
Nutrition Facts:
8x more Omega-3s than salmon

25% more fiber than flaxseed

30% more antioxidants than blueberries

2x more potassium than bananas

6x more calcium than milk
HOW TO OBSERVE
Add chia to your diet on this day (and every day) to enjoy the strength and vitality that these seeds bring to your life. Start your day with chia granola, power through the day with chia bars, and enjoy chia beverages anytime. Celebrate every meal by adding chia! Post on social media using #NationalChiaDay.
HISTORY
Submitted by Mamma Chia in February 2016 by the policies set forth to designate a National Observation Day, this proclamation has been certified by the Registrar at National Day Calendar.
NATIONAL MELBA TOAST DAY
March 23rd recognizes Melba Toast Day, a food holiday. Melba toast is a dry, crisp and thinly sliced toast. It is sometimes served with salad or soup or may be eaten plain or with a topping.
Melba toast was named after Dame Nellie Melba, the stage name of the Australian opera singer, Helen Porter Mitchell. The singer was quite popular with chef Auguste Escoffier of the Savoy. It is believed he created not just this “diet” toast for Ms. Melba, but a famous dessert as well.
Because Melba toast was such a firm toast, it was often given to infants as teething biscuits.
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.