Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
I've never owned a morta pipe, and recently bought a "Devil Anse" Moonshine model from Briarworks. The build quality is very respectable, and I found the draw on this pipe to be pretty near ideal. I wanted to start with the tobacco I tend to enjoy most - Newminster No. 400 - and see how it worked out. The pipe smokes admirably, but it had a faint but persistent odd flavor that lasted the whole bowl. I've read of people saying that notice a "bog" smell/taste with morta, and I couldn't honestly say it seemed swampy to me...but it was somewhat different. Anyone else notice this phenomenon?

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
I've never owned a morta pipe, and recently bought a "Devil Anse" Moonshine model from Briarworks. The build quality is very respectable, and I found the draw on this pipe to be pretty near ideal. I wanted to start with the tobacco I tend to enjoy most - Newminster No. 400 - and see how it worked out. The pipe smokes admirably, but it had a faint but persistent odd flavor that lasted the whole bowl. I've read of people saying that notice a "bog" smell/taste with morta, and I couldn't honestly say it seemed swampy to me...but it was somewhat different. Anyone else notice this phenomenon?
Searching around the internets, I find a few stories on morta imparting an odd flavor. From what they say, some won't some will......luck of the draw. How many bowls have you smoked through it now? Where did you purchase the pipe?

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Searching around the internets, I find a few stories on morta imparting an odd flavor. From what they say, some won't some will......luck of the draw. How many bowls have you smoked through it now? Where did you purchase the pipe?
Just one bowl at the moment. I bought it directly from the Briarworks site. It doesn’t appear that the workshop coated the bowl’s interior. I’m pretty impressed with it overall, and would be interested to try another of their models someday.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
I’ve owned but one morta pipe and never noticed any flavor. To me it was almost comparable to meerschaum in how neutral it was.
It certainly didn’t have a boggy taste that I’ve read some people describe. I don’t know that I could even describe it, other than to say it was a taste I’ve never had from a cob, meerschaum, or briar. I don’t intend to give up on it - it smokes admirably well! I just hope this tinge of oddness fades with a few more smokes.

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
Just one bowl at the moment. I bought it directly from the Briarworks site. It doesn’t appear that the workshop coated the bowl’s interior. I’m pretty impressed with it overall, and would be interested to try another of their models someday.
You may try to contact the seller and find out a return policy or just ask about the odd taste. I am interested in what you find out.

ovidsmuse

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
I know some people here swear there is no reason to build up a cake, maybe because so many pipes come with some type of pre cake or lining these days, but I had noticable flavors from new briar and morta pipes that were "raw" when I first got them. Building up even a thin cake took that away. Recently I slightly over reamed a pipe with too much cake and the flavor came back. I suggest smoking it regularly until a cake builds, if the flavor persists it's not the wood

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
I know some people here swear there is no reason to build up a cake, maybe because so many pipes come with some type of pre cake or lining these days, but I had noticable flavors from new briar and morta pipes that were "raw" when I first got them. Building up even a thin cake took that away. Recently I slightly over reamed a pipe with too much cake and the flavor came back. I suggest smoking it regularly until a cake builds, if the flavor persists it's not the wood
I smoked another bowl in it this evening, and the odd taste was still present, but seems to have diminished a bit - so you may be right.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
I've had my eye on a few of the Moonshine pipes. I like the devil anses, cannonball and the pot still. I think that I'd like more of a bend in the pot still though. Good looking pipes though.
This is my first pipe from them, and it smokes really well. The draft is nearly ideal, in my opinion. I like the cannonball model, too.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I litteraly had my third briar pipe smoke that way when I first got it. It was actually quite nasty. I put some a cotton ball then sweet and cure" in it for a little while and let it dry. A newbie then and a bit scared I was messing up. It never acted up again.

Moral of story give it a clean. Cant hurt.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
I litteraly had my third briar pipe smoke that way when I first got it. It was actually quite nasty. I put some a cotton ball then sweet and cure" in it for a little while and let it dry. A newbie then and a bit scared I was messing up. It never acted up again.

Moral of story give it a clean. Cant hurt.
It seems to have settled down, now that it has a respectable bit of carbon cake on the bowl.

Devil Anse

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2020
California
The Briarworks/Moonshine Devil Anse Morta was my first pipe other than cobs. Down the road I purchased a Briarworks/Moonshine devil Anse long Morta. I didn’t taste anything swampy at all In either one. However, I have heard of this on rare occasion.

Reactions: evo03 and Casual