PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2018
Dallas, Texas
Anyone ever have any luck with carver A.Çevik. In my life I usually stand by if it sounds to good to be true but there some good deals on eBay from what I can see. Anyone have any experience?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
texasfiremedic, welcome aboard. Intersting handle; sounds like an interesting and demanding job. I don't know the carver, so I can't help you there, but if you'd like some suggestions on dependable moderately priced pipes, I can help with that.

Aug 26, 2018
Dallas, Texas
<p>Thank you for the welcome! It is my understanding that purchasing a meerschaum has the potential to be a family heirloom I was looking at the following: https://www.pipoogle.com/index.php?route=product/product&amp;product_id=537. I know not the carvings may not be everyone's taste I seem to enjoy the coloring I have seen from meerschaums when decorated. I suppose if I could always get two.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
It looks good but it may have a screw on stem which is not so good. I recommend a push pull tennon. Also as far as the mechanics go, there can be flaws and you only cam tell in person. I myself when I get another meer will go out of my way to buy one in person so in can inspect it. I've never heard of that site, there's lots of places to get meers and several types of inferior ones. A high price doesn't mean a better one but a lower price may mean a worse one... good luck in your meerschaum quest. Mb get a corn cob first.. I wouldn't start smoking with a pipe more than 40 or 50...

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I. Baglan makes some nice examples of that style. You can get his pipes on the bay or at meerschaummarket.com
The pipe you linked to seems ok for the price. A few parts in the detail that I'd want closer pictures of, because it is not as perhaps detailed or well executed as some others, but for the price I think it is reasonable.
Beware that the stem is likely going to have a small tenon and the part in the shank will be a screw in, requiring a clockwise turn as you pull the stem out to avoid loosening it over time. Could be wrong, but the style very much looks that way to me from the colour of the stem and previous experience.
I think you'd be satisfied, but if you can afford more, I'd have a look at the meerschaum market for some of the other carvers. You can buy the pipes there or source them out on the bay and other places for the best price.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Here's where I got my I. Baglan, which is an eagle's claw holding an intricate egg. I paid around $300 for it, maybe a little less.
Honestly, I almost never smoke it (which is why I'm reluctant to buy a calabash pipe). I think it looks beautiful, but it's a heavy pipe and there is a slight gurgle that I cannot get rid of. I've never had another pipe gurgle, but I tend to smoke VA, VAPer, English style blends. That gurgle drives me nuts.
But, they are beautiful to look at.

Aug 26, 2018
Dallas, Texas
Wow I cannot begin to thank everyone for their input. I feel very welcomed. I want a workhorse that will color with age. I recently acquired a fair bit of McClelland tobacco, my favorite to date, which I plan to smoke selectively out of the meerschaum. I do have three meerschaum pipes I am quite fond of. I am okay with spending a decent amount of money as I want this pipe to last my lifetime and my children's.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Welcome, tfm, good to have you here! Echo & +1 on what eggroll said -- if at all possible you definitely want a push-tenon. Screws are generally less expensive but if not handled cautiously they tend to get misaligned just due to wear & over-tightening over time.
Bill

Aug 26, 2018
Dallas, Texas
Wooohoo! I found a SMS estate pipe that will quell the itch to purchase the one I want which is $250+. Should be here on Thursday :eek:. I'll post pictures as soon as it comes in! This is from the Ebay listing:
6EZ1vRA

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
lattice-meer-500x600.jpg

There y'go, TFM, fixed her up for you. :) That is a gooorrrrrrrgeous pipe, BTW!
Don't worry; getting pictures to post right here is easy, but not totally intuitive. If you like, message, me & I can help on it. :)

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
That's a spiffy meer! They call that general style a "Topkapi," supposedly after some part of the Topkapi Palace (though I don't see the resemblance). Nonetheless, it's a great and quintessentially modern-Turkish expression in meerschaum, and that's an excellent example, closer to the older (80s and 90s) Topkapi pipes, vs. the current floral style started by Sevket.

Aug 26, 2018
Dallas, Texas
I'll post up some pictures later today of this gorgeous pipe. Though I was very skeptical at first of Ebay this came through marvelously. $50 shipped was an excellent investment!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Tex-
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, (including this site's album) such as eBay, Amazon, you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.

Status
Not open for further replies.