PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
So a few weeks ago I bought a bunch of pipes off of eBay and took up the hobby of pipe restoration. I have never smoked a pipe before but wanted to learn how to restore a pipe and restore some I inherited. As I read the forums here and watched YouTube videos I gained The desire to not only restore pipes but pick up the hobby of smoking pipes leisurely. Are used to smoke cigars a long time ago and enjoyed that but never a pipe. So today was my first experience and it went very well. I experienced a little bit of tongue bite toward the end but that was really because the tobacco was mostly gone And I should have stopped. Kind of like smoking a cigar too short. I was really just starting to enjoy it when apparently I was finished. I think I need something with a bigger bowl. ?. Everything went well as far as the mechanics of the pipe smoking went. My pack seem fine it did seem to need relating quite a bit but that is probably a lack of experience. I am now confident enough to smoke around someone else I just need another piping buddy.161881618916190

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds like a good start. Try various blends in small quantities for a while, various types (genres) and see what you like. Non-aromatic (unflavored) may give you less trouble with tongue bite or gum burn. Go easy with reaming; that can ruin pipes fast if overdone. There's a good group here with information and answers as you go.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Tongue is fine now. Maybe I should buy and try that meat pie! Or do I save that? May try some non aromatic soon. I was passing through Jackson and the guy and Country Squire recommended Cherokee.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
So a few weeks ago I bought a bunch of pipes off of eBay and took up the hobby of pipe restoration. I have never smoked a pipe before but wanted to learn how to restore a pipe and restore some I inherited. As I read the forums here and watched YouTube videos I gained The desire to not only restore pipes but pick up the hobby of smoking pipes leisurely. Are used to smoke cigars a long time ago and enjoyed that but never a pipe. So today was my first experience and it went very well. I experienced a little bit of tongue bite toward the end but that was really because the tobacco was mostly gone And I should have stopped. Kind of like smoking a cigar too short. I was really just starting to enjoy it when apparently I was finished. I think I need something with a bigger bowl. ?. Everything went well as far as the mechanics of the pipe smoking went. My pack seem fine it did seem to need relating quite a bit but that is probably a lack of experience. I am now confident enough to smoke around someone else I just need another piping buddy.View attachment 16188View attachment 16189View attachment 16190

You're very welcome to pop round and we can share a bowl or two ??

Reactions: AlabamaDan
Status
Not open for further replies.