Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
I know I’m new here, but I thought I’d share my excitement. I’m new to the hobby and want to start restoring pipes. I inherited a set from grandfathers that I want to restore. Before I touch those I decided I would learn on some eBay pipes. This is my first set to restore. Not sure if they are diamonds in the rough or just average pipes.

I’ve been watching lots of YouTube videos on pipe restoration. I’ve never even touched a pipe before! Wish me luck.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Oh, ho! You got lucky with those. Looks to be short work to shine those up.?You're starting with mostly black stems so you're already ahead of the game. The rims just look like tar and nicotine build up. Saliva and a paper towel makes short work of that.

On stems, never underestimate the power of a Magic Eraser, Barkeeper's Friend and toothpaste.?

Nowadays I just use a lighter and a wet paper towel on stems.

Good luck and have fun! Restorations are addictive!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bring 'em back and pretty them up and they'll go another fifty years. Nice job on those stems.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
It can be a dirty job when you get some really nasty internals but it is so satisfying to take a draw on a pipe that used to be nasty looking not taste a darn thing! They just beg to be smoked.

One of the best tools I bought for the job were these nylon straw cleaners for the internals. You just dip them in Isopropyl alcohol and when they are totally caked with crud scrub them against each other in a container of diluted IPA and go back at it. 5pcs Nylon Straw Cleaners cleaning Brush for Drinking pipe stainless steel by GAOHOU: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen - https://www.amazon.ca/Cleaners-cleaning-Drinking-stainless-GAOHOU/dp/B00HF2W33S

You will save so many pipe cleaners its ridiculous. I really only use my pipe cleaners now to see if the airway is clean.

Also an LED penlight to stick in the bowl and peer down the draft hole will tell you how much crud there is left as well.

enjoy! It's a lot of fun :)

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
It can be a dirty job when you get some really nasty internals but it is so satisfying to take a draw on a pipe that used to be nasty looking not taste a darn thing! They just beg to be smoked.

One of the best tools I bought for the job were these nylon straw cleaners for the internals. You just dip them in Isopropyl alcohol and when they are totally caked with crud scrub them against each other in a container of diluted IPA and go back at it. 5pcs Nylon Straw Cleaners cleaning Brush for Drinking pipe stainless steel by GAOHOU: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen - https://www.amazon.ca/Cleaners-cleaning-Drinking-stainless-GAOHOU/dp/B00HF2W33S

You will save so many pipe cleaners its ridiculous. I really only use my pipe cleaners now to see if the airway is clean.

Also an LED penlight to stick in the bowl and peer down the draft hole will tell you how much crud there is left as well.

enjoy! It's a lot of fun :)

I have essentially the same set of those little brushes. They do work a treat on a deep clean!

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
You've come to the right place! Lots of good folks on this forum have helped me out when I was starting.

More important than fancy tools, or tricks, or what was works, is to have patience. A slow and steady hand will serve you well.

This is so true, it takes longer than I think it will each time. Especially the stem because you can't apply too much pressure or you will change its shape. Light pressure and for a long and careful time.

Status
Not open for further replies.