PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
I will be attending my first local pipe club meeting tomorrow and was curious what my expectations should be. What typically takes place during these meet-ups? Are there dues? Are there any purchases expected from the cigar bar establishment hosting the meeting? Please share your experiences. Thank you!

FALaholic

Might Stick Around
Jan 15, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Curious myself but since I don’t belong to any, so I couldn’t tell you. Dues would be a deal breaker though.
To my mind this is a hobby of relaxation and camaraderie.

Personally I wouldn’t be interested if anything was required of me other than fellowship. There is enough in life that is required of already!

Beyond that it would be a nice gesture to patronize the cigar shop.

Reactions: Tbaggins and RobNYC

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I will be attending my first local pipe club meeting tomorrow and was curious what my expectations should be. What typically takes place during these meet-ups? Are there dues? Are there any purchases expected from the cigar bar establishment hosting the meeting? Please share your experiences. Thank you!
Just show up. I've been to clubs with structured topics, business meetings or just a bunch of guys sitting around. Some have dues but spending money with the host shop or lounge is a must. Seat time isn't free. If there are servers I always over tip them.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Grab a couple tins of something you’ve enjoyed and bring them along with you to put on the table for others sample. Grab a seat & possibly a beverage. I’d bring a Stanley thermos filled with fresh ground. Relax and enjoy whatever comes your way. Just getting out amongst folks these days is a win. ?☕

MRW

Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Grab a couple tins of something you’ve enjoyed and bring them along with you to put on the table for others sample. Grab a seat & possibly a beverage. I’d bring a Stanley thermos filled with fresh ground. Relax and enjoy whatever comes your way. Just getting out amongst folks these days is a win. ?☕
Simmerdown..., this was a bust I was the ONLY person there! Read my post above more carefully.

MRW

Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Well, tonight was the night for my very first pipe club meeting. I was the only one that showed so I went ahead and read out loud (to myself) the meeting notes from the previous meeting, elected myself as President and quickly adjourned the meeting. Very disappointed.
I was so looking forward to the fellowship and community aspect I was expecting with this first meeting. I am not one to be overly social but was excited to branch out from my smoking in solitude. I learned that the smoking lounge where the meeting was to be held will be closing at the end of the month. Another one bites the dust! Only two other tobacco establishments left in my area and they are less than desirable. Both have very poor ventilation systems. My nose burns after just a short time.

Pity party is now over.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

MRW

Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
I was so looking forward to the fellowship and community aspect I was expecting with this first meeting. I am not one to be overly social but was excited to branch out from my smoking in solitude. I learned that the smoking lounge where the meeting was to be held will be closing at the end of the month. Another one bites the dust! Only two other tobacco establishments left in my area and they are less than desirable. Both have very poor ventilation systems. My nose burns after just a short time.

Pity party is now over.
Headed over to the Tobacco and Mental Health string now......:confused:

MRW

Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas

Mr_houston

Dec 30, 2020
Texas
Sorry that didn’t work out. Don’t give up. Next time find 1 person to meet you there. Maybe it was an off night.

I showed up early for this month’s Houston Pipe Club meeting and no one showed. I found out the meeting was cancelled due to weather, but the notice got hung up in my spam filter.

I smoked 3 pipes full and watched the Olympics.

Our normal crowd lately is 4 to 10 guys.