PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
...but not the last :mrgreen:
My Peterson collection just got a new family member today. I've had a love for Peterson pipes since my first Peterson in early 2013. But as often as I've looked at the Sherlock Holmes line (now multiple lines) of pipes, I've never purchased one before. For Christmas I was gifted a Clontarf XL21 (originally the Sherlock Holmes Hudson shape), a pipe I likely wouldn't have purchased for myself but fell in love with as soon as I opened up the box and it was in my hands. Smoking it has been a dream, and my other pipes, with the exception of another new Peterson (the Grafton 106) have been getting hardly a second look since Christmas Day. Wanting to make my next Peterson, finally, a Sherlock Holmes I fought over the choice between a Squire or the Hudson. Asking another water hating hydrophobic luddite ( :nana: ) to help me choose between the two, it was decided that I should make it the Hudson. Perhaps the Squire will be next.
I'm glad I chose the Hudson. The Xl21 shape is fantastic in Peterson's walnut stain I love so much. And the silver band, adding separation between the stem and shank helps add to the shapes already beefy appearance while also adding a bit more style and class. The pipe is lovely, I think. I have no Sherlock Holmes inspired tobacco, so instead I'll be loading it up for the first time with some Lord Of The Rings inspired tobacco... Old Toby, from The Country Squire. :puffy:
RdBM9M4.jpg

qiNf8x3.jpg

4gD3ifd.jpg

Reactions: marlinspike

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Congrats! I'm sure it'll be a great smoker. I have the original from 1987, and also the Milverton and Baskerville pipes. All of them are great smokers.

Jan 8, 2013
With everyone getting nice pipes lately, its very hard to keep my PAD in order.
Peer pressure is awful, isn't it? :mrgreen:
Update: I'm currently enjoying this pipe's virgin smoke, and it's smoking like a well broken in pipe. I couldn't be more pleased :puffy:

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I love that pipe! I have a Hudson Rustic, an Original (like Jim's, from 1987), and my first one, that my wife bought me at the Grafton shop, when we were visiting Ireland in 2002, a Strand. I think the Strand is a terrific shape. All, of course, are fabulous smokers.

Congrats on a great choice.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Fantastic looking pipe Anthony! I know the lone Peterson I have smokes great too and I'm certainly looking forward to picking up another in the future!
I've quite admired that Sherlock Holmes series for sometime now, especially the Squire, but in a rustic finish.
I hope you enjoy the heck out of it! :puffpipe:

Jan 8, 2013
I think the Strand is a terrific shape.
I agree, Dino. Some time back, I was lusting after a Strand, but I suppose it got lost in my quest for a few hard to find Petersons. Now that most of those (with the exception of a Peterson Celtic (light stain, not ebony, 106) have been found, I can begin looking toward acquiring some other easier to find Petes I've wanted for a while.
I hope you enjoy the heck out of it! :puffpipe:
You know I'm gonna! :mrgreen:

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
And the silver band, adding separation between the stem and shank helps add to the shapes already beefy appearance while also adding a bit more style and class.
Yep, the silver band does add a bit of class to it. Nice choice. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.