PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Unfinished pipes provide a great experience. In terms of the final coloration, I think they are more satisfying than most Meerschaum pipes. For a while, they just darken in a kind of warm matte color, but eventually they begin to develop a shine that has real depth. Stanwell pipes are good smokers in general, so it should be a successful experiment. You'll get the full effect in about five years of regular smoking. I have a Savinelli that's over forty years old that looks great, and several others of several brands in stages of completion. It's hard to believe they aren't stained and waxed in the first place over time, and I've never added anything like wax or polish. Just buff it off after every smoke with a cloth to even out the coloring process. I don't think nose oil or oil from hands has much to do with it.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I gifted a pipe buddy with an unsmoked, unfinished bulldog (it came with a 9mm filter and I don't like pipes with filters) about 6 months ago. It has already taken on some nice colouration in the 6 months. He is a strictly a weekend smoker. He wipes it down after each smoke with a soft cloth impregnated with a small amount of (chopping) board oil which has given the pipe a nice soft sheen.

Reactions: DangerStranger

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have a 63. It's a superb smoker, but at the limit of comfortable clenchability for me, as it is a bit heavy, so I use it when I'm sitting down with a book or something where I'm not moving around too much.
It was my first pipe, so it has that special place.

biz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2020
Florida
A little update. This pipe smokes very well. I don't care what country it was made in. It is a fine pipe. I am really excited about watching this pipe color, and enjoying the taste as it ages.