PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauliepiper

Lurker
Feb 8, 2016
Hi all,

Well I just purchased my first Dr Grabow.I have 2 old 60's one's . Silver duke bulldog and a one I camt remember as not with me to check.

So I purchssed a straight Riviera and really can't complain.Its a filter pipe so I just usually roll up some paper and use as filter. (1 time use).I smoked a few bowls today and im pretty impressed. The only issue I noticed is the bowl gets abit hot, I'm not a hard puffer. But except for that smokes really well. Just thought I'd post as was quite surprised. Its been sitting on my shelf in box for few weeks, eish I'd opened her up abit earlier.
Welcome to the Forum! Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I recommend the Royalton series for an upgrade on the stem, but Dr. Grabows are good pipes. You can smoke them without a filter (or paper substitute). If, like me, you find that a little too open-draw, a 6 mm adaptor will close down the draw a little. These are available at smokingpipe.com among other places. The Royalton bulldog and apple (looks like a prince to me) do not have a problem burning hot. Welcome aboard.

pauliepiper

Lurker
Feb 8, 2016
Hi all,

I'm in Australia where pipe smoking isnt popular and our taxes on tobacco products is through the roof.Due to not being popular our tobacconists only sell pretty limited stuff and its $55 Aus for 50g tin. You guys in the US pay about $9 Aus. Yeah I dont mind filter pipes in my rotation, find I like to smoke and learn how each pipe smokes differently to each other. I also recently brought a Peterson bulldog with P lip. That took abit to get used to but I dont mind it. Wouldnt say I'm a huge fan as just so use to the fishtail style.

Just to add my other Dr Grabow is a straight duke. The only issue is it cracked where the stem meets pipe, forget correct term, but never remove while hot. Looks like flaw in briar.hope makes sense.

P

pauliepiper

Lurker
Feb 8, 2016
Hi,

Well ive smoked about 6 bowls in my Dr Grabow Riviera, ranging ftom 1/3 yo full bowls.

The bowl is obviously coated in something,i.e. shellac etc as its starting to blister.Also can see where fills are as these seem to show up more now.

In my oringinal post I mentioned the pipe got hot, hotter than anything else I've smoked.I dont smoke fast and have been smoking the blend named,Balkan 2.

Also the metal tenon has pulled loose out of the stem. Ive been able to remove and glue back inti stem. Well was cheap pipe but didnt think would fall apart so soon.

Ive got Grabow'made in the 60's which are way better quality etc.

Last Dr Grabow I'm buying.

Cheers Paulie

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Paulie:
I'm really sorry to hear about the finish blistering and the tenon coming loose. DGs used to be as a rock solid as the classic Zippo lighter. They always delivered the goods.
I have two DGs left from the late 50's and early 60's. One is my go-to burner for trying out new blends and the other is an inexpensive coupon pipe that somebody must have mislabeled. It smokes better than several of my pricier "name" and artisan made huffers.
It might be a good idea to sand off the shellac to salvage that new DG. At this point, what do you have to lose?
Fnord

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I have 3 new production Dr Grabows and 3 old production ones, while I'm happy with all of them the quality of the older ones is superior.
I'm itching to try the new production Kaywoodies as all of their lines are now made without the dreaded stinger.

Status
Not open for further replies.