PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Can't wait to try it. Thanks again SmokinDragon, I think you changed the caliber of what I was considering.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
imgur.com has a 'copy' button for you to get the URL, it wasn't working for me in the IMG field, then I just did what you said and it did work.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Meerschaum is pretty hardy stuff with a few exceptions. The most noteworthy imo is that it scratches very easily when smoked. Even though the surface may feel rock hard when you set it away after smoking it will abrade easily. Put it away in it’s case and you’ll be all set.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I have a Tekin and love it. A word of caution is that I dented my meer with a fingernail by accedent. They are susceptible to change/damage in how the pipe colors if knocked or dented. It's almost like they bruise.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
All good to know - thx. Adapting to a new cleaning routine may prove difficult. Sounds easy though. Will swabbing the chamber with a bristle cleaner and then a damp paper towel after smoking be enough to prevent cake?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I’ve noticed that mine has Scratches that were revealed as the bees wax has melted away or absorbed into the meer. I’ve thought to re wax it but have concluded that rewaxing will be a waste of time. I favor the look of it as is, it seems that waxing it will only goop up the finish in the long run. There are many schools of thought as to this line of thinking, you got to do what’s best for you. As far as the meerschaum softening, I’ve never seen this to be the case while smoking or after smoking. I’ve got a Tekin by the way.

floridapipeman

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2018
I have many Meers and never have any issues. Smoke it! I wipe the bowl clean after every smoke as well as clean the stem. And I'll smoke the same one multiple times in the same day. Enjoy yours, they smoke great.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
All good to know - thx. Adapting to a new cleaning routine may prove difficult. Sounds easy though. Will swabbing the chamber with a bristle cleaner and then a damp paper towel after smoking be enough to prevent cake?
Just use the same routine on briar and meer: Hot water flush, dry/ream bowl with paper towel, pipe cleaner through stem. Easy as hell, and gives a great result.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
About screw tendons. I thought the thinking was that push stems will wear out the meer eventually and that the screw tendons are reparable. You can screw the fitting into the tendon, and screw the stem onto the opposite threaded side therefore putting no wear and tear on the meerschaum itself when removing the stem. If the plastic fitting goes bad from removing the stem, you can buy another fitting.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
untitled.png

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have one 9mm filtered Altinay and another Tekin to which I have had made a new yellowish acrylic stem at pfeifenstudio Jazen Germany, both perform wonderfully, however, my favorite might be this Altinay thanks to a little more free airflow, I'm using it with 9mm balsa wood filter,

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I also treat mine like any other pipe, which is actually fairly carefully...even my cobs.
For me it seems to build a cake faster and heavier than any other material so I really make sure to wipe it out good after use. Maybe it is just me but I definitely notice it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Whiteburleydude, everything you say about these tenon fittings is true. But the draw in these fittings is horrible, and for me at least, leads to a hot, wet smoke (scorched tongue, etc.) I don't know of any case in which a standard push-in tenon has worn away the meerschaum mortise. Maybe someone with more experience can weight in.

untitled.png

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I really cannot add much to this discussion as the last new meerschaum I purchased was back in 1985 and I gave it to PipeDreamer who haven't seen around the board for a few months so I hope he is OK. My only advise for what its worth is to buy an old meerschaum circa 100+ years as someone else has broken it in for you. I have also found the meerschaum to be harder and more robust but I guess thats a factor of personal taste. Good luck with whatever pipe you settle on.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
3 bowls in a row of old joe krantz tonight without a hiccup.Pipe did not get hot whatsoever.

I have a little vertigo however.

Status
Not open for further replies.