PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
In considering a first Meer, I’ve been doing a little research and am advised thusly:
“While smoking take extra precautions due to the meerschaum softening because the meerschaum and carvings can become damaged with the wrong finger placement.”
So, that makes me think they must get really hot to the touch and fragile - is that right?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I only have one Meer and can only speak to that.
Firstly, the bowl doesn't get any hotter than any of my briars, I would think that bowl temperature has more to do with your cadence and draw.
Secondly, it is not a delicate hothouse flower that requires gloves and a hyperbolic chamber. It gets treated the same as any of my other pipes.
It is a Straumbach cultured Meerschaum, which some deride while others are indifferent. I think its a great well made pipe.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I'm of the opinion that you were advised quite sillily. That's not a word, but you get my point. It's a pipe, smoke it. If you get a super extravagantly carved meer, then maybe you will be worried about that, but it softens more when moist than hot.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Looking at AKB roughly around $120 to $150 (one is a lattice - seems thick walled around .75”). I was told they are solid block and are screw tenons. Does it seem like I’m going about getting something decent? No tie to AKB, just convenient where I have an active account with a nice history.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
So, that makes me think they must get really hot to the touch and fragile - is that right?
No and no.
You'll get differing opinions on how to handle your meers, but I'm of the mind that you should just smoke it much like any other pipe. Take care not to drop it, don't clean it with alcohol and wipe it down after smoking. Other than that, enjoy it without obsessing.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
i have smooth meers so I cannot reply as to whether or not carved ones are more delicate. However, the ones I have are used and handle smoking and general use just like my briar pipes. I wouldn't mishandle any of them, but I'm sure a meer could possibly break easier if you dropped it. But they are quite strong.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The screw-in tenons are fraught with negative issues. I would avoid them. Look for a meer with briar style push-in tenons.
Your choice of finger placement will not damage any part of the pipe. Dropping the pipe on a hard surface will likely damage it.
Meers heat up a little bit more than briar, but you won't notice much difference for a given thickness.
Unless you're under contract to color an extravagant meer for placement in a museum display, just treat it like any other pipe -- you'll enjoy it more! Just keep the carbon cake thin-to-nonexistent, and avoid cleaning it with alcohol, like bassbug advised.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes. They clean up just great with a hot water flush, same as briars. Brings out the color, too, for a quick preview of how the pipe is coloring.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
thx for the input, I knew that didn't seem reasonable. I'll look for push tenons only and avoid the screw type. Seems like all 3 of these I was looking at from AKB were screw ons. Any guidance on limiting what I look at to avoid the screw ons? I'd hate to have to ask 10 times!

Jul 12, 2011
I can only speak to my experience with AKB, I have two of them - both of mine have issues with screw-in tenons / not fitting right and the drilling on both pipes, ugh... both have horrible draw , so I never smoke them.
I have three IMP Meers and they are all outstanding smokers, granted their pricing has gone WAY up these days, but if you are going to invest in a Meer, make it a great one that you will want to smoke. IMP's are fitted with Delrin tenons.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Ordered one today! Thanks SmokingDragon!
445KxeY
[/img]

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
DcyRKY0.png

Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, (including this site's album) such as eBay, Amazon, you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.

Status
Not open for further replies.