PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I have a friend who has been smoking Three Nuns exclusively for decades (yes, I know it's different now, and so does he) so I had to give it a try. First impressions...it's not bad, but it's a little boring. I didn't taste what I've seen the reviews imply, just basically plain tobacco taste to me. I intended to stack a few coins, so I picked a pipe whose chamber is about the same diameter as the coins (a vintage estate Comoy half-bent bulldog). A managed to get a few coins out of the tin intact, but a couple of them came unraveled. I think I may not have packed it tight enough either, as it burned a little hot. Next time I will pack it slightly tighter. It took a light well and smoked to the heel without a relight. The taste got a little ashy toward the bottom half, but that is my experience with most all blends other than black cavendish. Nic kick was ok, but I'm a Royal Yacht smoker, so almost everything else seems a bit mild by comparison. Also by comparison, RY has much more in the way of an interesting taste and aroma than Three Nuns. But I didn't appreciate RY either at first, so I will definitely give Three Nuns a fair shake. It seems so far like a nice, neutral, no-nonsense smoke. Hoping with experience packing it and smoking it that I will begin to taste more nuances to the flavor.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
It'd be interesting to try creating a blend by alternating coins of Three Nuns with coins of MacBaren's Roll Cake. That would give you a bit of additional sweetness, in addition to the missing perique.
Bob

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am curious to try it again as I last smoked it in 1986 when someone gave me a bunch of tins as a gift from their overseas travels. I seem to remember liking it, probably because it was free and I would imagine I mixed it up with my name sake brand. I have a very nice unused meerschaum I picked up on Ebay the other week which would be fun to run a couple of tins of Three Nuns through before it gets the usual Condor treatment. I remember my boss at the time picked up the tin, looked at it and said "Three Nuns. None today, none tomorrow or the day after". As he walked off laughing at his great joke. My friend Arthur coughed in his hanker chief whilst saying 'arsehole' which resulted in us both getting into trouble with the head of underwriting - the joys of a misspent youth! Anyway how much is it a tin ?

Status
Not open for further replies.