PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
First off, a big Thank You and Cheers to @BROBS for gifting me this tobacco, along with some other aromatics that I have yet to try. He's another example of the generosity we see on this forum.

From the manufacturer: A sweet blend of burley, Virginia, and Green River leaf, Bat with a Hat, as F&K puts it, "tastes like heaven and is crazy as hell." Would we expect anything less from the makers of Merde de Cheval?

I don't know about it being "crazy as hell," but it's a good quality aromatic. The tin note is unsurprisingly delicious. It's easy to pack and light with about 15-30 minutes of drying time. It didn't feel overly goopy like some aromatics.

Bat With a Hat smoked smooth and light in my MM Legend. It's a sweet tasting smoke. The vanilla taste is obvious, and a caramel flavor fights through sometimes. The flavor was consistent all the way through the bowl. It's very low on nicotine. It stayed lit surprisingly well compared to other aromatics.

The inevitable comparison is to Lane Ltd. 1-Q. A few of the reviews on TR conflict here: "Easier and softer" than Lane 1-Q vs. "an amped up version...like 1-Q on anabolic steroids." vs. (from Mr. JimInks) "similar to 1-Q with a moderately deeper taste."

If I had to pick, I'd go with JimInks' statement. It's not amped up 1-Q by any means. It was flavorful but not in your face. And I don't know how you can get easier and softer than 1-Q unless you don't light the pipe. To me, it was just a little bit tastier than 1-Q.

This one didn't reinvent aromatics for me, but it's a quality smoke that I'd buy more of (unless BROBS has more he wants to give me).

Recommended for aromatic fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.