PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Member @7charb has been experimenting with blending tobacco, and in a friendly gesture, sent me some of his "Tipsy-Turk" blend to try. It contains Red Virginia, Cavendish, Perique, and a retail
Oriental blend. (I'll let him chose whether to reveal more details about the mix.) He then soaked ii in Jameson’s Irish Whiskey and slowly dried/smoked in an outdoor fireplace.

I smoked a bowl last night in MM cob. A smoky note from the Oriental blend was the prevalent smell, but I did notice a bit of a spice. After my smoke, I mixed the tobacco around in the jar more, and then I did detect some fruity sweetness.

It wasn't goopy or sticky, but I dried it out about 45 minutes anyway. It smoked well and didn't require an inordinate amount of relights.

The taste changed as I smoked the bowl down. The first third of the bowl was dominated by a woody/earthy note, which surprised me given the amount of Red VA and Cavendish in the blend. The bowl changed in two main ways as I smoked it: first, the Perique pepper and a sourness (a good sour) came through, then the tangy sweetness (I presume from the Red VA) kicked in and took over in the last half of the bowl. I'm sure the whiskey soak affected the taste, but it didn't scream "whiskey" in taste or smell.

I'd put the taste at a notch below medium. The nicotine hit was mild.

Overall, it was a good smoke. I have enough for a few more bowls. Thank you to @7charb for sharing this blend with me. I encourage you to keep on blending and trying new things.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
In case there is interest... Here is my recipe more or less (all purchased in bulk - P&C):

40% Red VA
40% Cavendish
10% Perique
5% Cornell & Diehl Byzantium (an Oriental)
5% Smyrna (an Oriental)

I soaked all of this blended together in Jamesons Irish Whiskey for 4 hours and a little Maraschino liqueur. Enough to get the whole batch fairly damp, but not super wet. Dried this in the oven at 175 for 2 hours and then put it in my outdoor fireplace over a small wet fire (smokey) for an hour. However, I did not taste the smokiness I intended to capture in the taste. Therefore, I am certain drying the batch solely in the oven will work just fine.

I might add some 5 Brother's to amp it up a little next time (up the nic hit just a little), but I am pleased with it as is and it's been my main go-to tobacco for the past week. I might be just a little prejudice though - LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.