PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've been slaving away over a hot pipe for days now, trying to crack the code on this Potlatch.
It's everything. It's nothing. It required me to stop and think, something to which I'm not generally accustomed. I even had to break out special, new hardware.
Mr. Lankford, I hope you're pleased with yourself. :puffy:
thing-and-spc.jpg

A recent clearance price opportunity brought this blend to my attention (Get off my lawn, Cosmic :rofl: )

I went all in, after reading some reviews and got a few pounds of it.
Now, I have to figure out just what it is I got such a great deal on.
If one searched YouTube for reviews, there are many "first impression" submissions with similar results: "I don't taste much/anything."
On the other hand, most of the written reviews on TR are 4 star, including the people we've come to know and trust (JimInks, PipeStud, DK, etc)
So, I knew there was more to the story. I suspected that this was a blend to help the sophomoric pipe journeyman advance skills and technique, if pursued in earnest. I decided that I was the neophyte for the job.
One pleasant change for me, I got a tin note. It's a hot mess of sour, tangy, woodsy, leathery sweetness, kind of like when my young nephew goes to the Chinese buffet and puts the sweet and sour chicken on top of the barbecued pork, on top of the shrimp fried rice....you get the picture. I was just excited to smell something, as tin notes usually pass me by.
Visually, it's the same buffet mess, a blend of every color and hue in the tobacconist's tool kit. Slender light brown ribbons and darker chunks comprise the bulk of it.
potlatch-337x600.jpg

The tin is packed densely and seems to be at near optimal moisture. I decided to start with one of my latakia pipes, a Savinelli 606KS. The first thing to reach me was the slightly sour oriental influence coupled with a sweetness of mostly cavendish, maybe backed by Virginia. The latakia was a tame but steady undertone. Heavy lat smokers might write it off altogether. But, it is there and contributes to the whole artfully.
I had trouble finding the burley. Half way down, the most mellow tart tingle of perique asserted itself. Like the latakia, it was deployed in the delicate manner with which a renowned French chef layers the contents of his spice rack into your overpriced, fancy dish. As above with the latakia, heavy VaPer fans may dismiss it.
I really wanted to find Mr. Burley. Reflecting back on things learned here over the last 10 months, I recall MSO and several others extolling the benefits of wide chambered pipes for busy blends. I decided to dip into the strategic pipe reserve and place a new briar into service.
The chosen one was "The Thing", an orange beast of a pre-Savinelli era Rossi, picked up unsmoked on eBay last year. The general consensus so far is, "Damn that's ugly. Bet it smokes well."
thing.jpg

Loading it this morning, taking care to observe some recommended break-in standards, I smoked a loosely packed 2/3 bowl slowly. With a few relights, it burned cleanly and dryly to the bottom. The initial oriental blast found in the Savinelli was less intense this time. The sweet and latakia was about the same. The mild nuttiness of burley finally made an appearance! It hid behind the cavendish initially, but as the bowl progresses, it is unmistakable.
The burley and cavendish form a solid and agreeable platform, with the tiny gremlins of latakia, perique and oriental running amok at will. A true symphony. A fine representation of the spirit of Potlatch
Having obsessively smoked this blend only for the last 2 days has helped me to gain more insight to the interplay of the components. This is the first time I've intentionally drilled down into a blend with such interest and it has been informative and rewarding.
This blend is already on its way to being an every day smoke for me.
Verdict: GET SOME!
jay-roger.jpg

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Jay, thank you for taking the time to share you experience with Potlatch, it gives me some hope for this blend. I cracked my new tin last night, right out of the tin it felt too moist but I loaded and lit anyway. I chose a La Rocca with a wide short bowl that smokes chunky ribbon types well. I didn't get much flavor, it burned hot and was not very pleasant. I let the pipe rest several times which helped a little. A quarter way through the bowl a set another bowls worth out on a paper towel to dry a bit. The second bowl was smoked in a Hackert billiard. Much better than the first but still very light on flavor but I was able to pick out the oriental, burley and cavendish. I jarred it, and will come back to it in the future with much lower expectations, hopefully with better results. I smoke 1-3 bowls a day so I do not have much patience for blends that don't deliver, whether it's my fault or the blend.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Great review Jay, I too have a significant stash of this and have yet to smoke much of it. Hoping that time will meld the flavors.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Solid review for sure, thanks! I just finished up my first bowl of Potlatch, and I loved the complexity and flavor, but it burned pretty hot and left me some tongue bite. Did you (or anyone else) experience that? I dried it out for about an hour and it was packed properly, and I didn’t guzzle. It just seemed quite a bit hotter than normal for an English/American type blend. It is a newly produced tin that probably hasn’t had much time to mellow.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great tour of the Potlatch blend! I've had a 2 oz tin living unopened on my pipe cabinet for more than a year. I'll have to flip a coin between opening that or C&D Riverboat Gambler first. I proceed in slow-mo'.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Mikefu, I don't believe I've had any tongue bite from this blend.
It really is a bit temperamental, though. About every other bowl runs perfectly with a delicate melange of all the flavors. The other half of the time, it's like dealing with a grumpy 5 year old. You MAY figure out what it wants, but you're likely to get frustrated trying.
I've been thankful to have added it as my next phase in "Tobacco University". It's the more difficult things in life that we can learn from. Focusing on moisture, packing, cadence and tamping, I'm slowly inching myself from the 50-50 great smoke ratio to maybe 2-1 in my favor.
My "101" course was my intro to the Daughters & Ryan stuff, which forced me to slow down a bunch. It's so dry that drying wasn't an issue but all other facets applied.
I am now reaping the benefits across the board, as my enjoyment of other, less finicky blends improves with refined technique.
Today is my "Saturday" and I've just had a decent pipeful with some good coffee, so I'm satisfied and waxing philosophic. Enjoy the moment. By the time I finish the yard work, I'll be back to my old smart-assed self...
jay-roger.jpg

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Thanks Jay,
I'm gonna keep going with it, trying out an array of pipes. I probably didn't let it dry out enough, and it was in a small pipe. I'll give it a go in a wider, pot bowl and see what happens. I loved the nuance and layer upon layer of flavor, but it was pretty "5 year old" altogether. Again thanks for the great review and the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.