PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Any time I encounter a blend without Virginias, I take note, as the Virginias, for me, are like rolling the dice of discomfort.
Through slowly improving technique, I'm able to enjoy many VA blends now, but, like a ninja, one will occasionally sneak in and rough me up.
Tashkent contains only Latakia, Izmir and Turkish leaf.
It gives a lightly sweet and smokey tin/bag note, enough to let you know the Latakia is there but not a bomb.
My one ounce bag came from a forum trade and was just a tad more moist than I strive for, but it fired up with ease.
I chose a Savinelli Roma 111KS, my first string Latakia pipe.
tash1-600x344.jpg

On light, the Latakia and Orientals both make their presence known and neither seems to be jockeying for the spotlight. It's hard to believe that there are no other components, as well behaved as the flavor is.
I get a little creaminess, almost buttery like background. Sweetness from the Latakia goes just to the edge of "more than enough", but shouldn't cloy most. To steal some descriptors from Jim, the Orientals slide a complimentary combination of the woody and soda-like taste. It tempers the sweet and smoky and the whole thing just works.
I don't think I've appreciated such a well balanced outcome since my very first tin of John Cotton's #1 as a total noob.
The tobacco is a slightly obese shag with a beautiful mottling of black and tan, well dark brown, but black and tan sounds better... :nana:
tash2-600x377.jpg

It produces lots of smoke with little effort. Despite my minor moisture concern, I'm past 2/3 without a pipe cleaner swipe. Two relights, so far, one due to farting around with the phone camera. Re-ignition was quick and easy. No poking or excessive tamping required.
I won't go so far as to say this reminds me of Syrian Latakia, but it kind of does. I'm still struggling to finger the differences but I've had enough Vintage Syrian and Cyprian Latakia to have half a clue. More likely, they both contain the Lat/Oriental combo, which must certainly produce some shared taste notes.
Finally, near the end, I loosened and dumped a bunch of the mythical fine, white ash before the last tamp and relight.
tash3-600x450.jpg

LJ Peretti has endured for a reason. If their other blends are as good as this one, it's no mystery why. Yeah, it's more expensive than some others but a rib-eye exceeds the cost of a burger and a Cadillac exceeds the cost of a Focus. All will allow you to smoke/eat/drive. It's just a matter of wants and needs.
In conclusion, I can assure you that this baggie has the life expectancy of a 'Nam era radio operator.
My verdict, an emphatic GET SOME!
jay-roger.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Nice review Jay. The only L J Peretti blend I have in my cellar is the Thanksgiving...which I like very much. I'll have to check out other LJP blends.

Reactions: BROBS

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Thanks. The Thanksgiving Blend was my first and only LJ blend before today.
I enjoyed it, especially since I mostly shun aro's, but the Tashkent will likely end up in my personal little tobacco hall of fame.
I've barely got the aftertaste gone and already thinking about when I can fit in the next one...
jay-roger.jpg

EDIT: I should have said ribbon above, not shag. Blame it on antibiotics and pain pills....

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Tashkent is a great blend, the most incense-like of all. I've never consciously registered the Syrian taste, but after you mentioned it I smoked a bowl of it and it does produce some flavors reminiscent of the old Syrian.

samw74

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2017
New York , NY
Excellent review Jay. Tashkent is one of my favorite blends. You may want to try Oriental no. 40. It too lacks Virginia, and consists of Oriental (Izmir?)/Turkish and latakia. It’s the only other blend like it. If you’re new to Peretti, I recommend the following to try:
Omega - a strong Balkan- it’s similar to H&H BlackHouse, Arango Balkan Supreme and Peter Stokkebye English Oriental
#7485 is an American English - it has a burley base with a small amount of Virginia.
No 8 Slice is a Va/Per/burley crumble Kake
Some burley favorites are: DD, W, 300, and BPC.
Enjoy

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Great review Jay! Tashkent sounds like my kind of tobacco. Thanks much for posting your review of this blend.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Good review, Jay.
Tashkent is smooth, rich and hypnotic when smoked ever so slowly.
It was a favourite of the late Charlie Normand, who would recommend it in the shop to people yearning for various unobtainia.

lloydcole

Lurker
Jun 20, 2019
I don't believe I've educated my palette enough, yet, to start reviews, but I will add that I took delivery of a selection of Peretti blends this week. I tried Tashkent first and I enjoyed. Very subtle. Maybe a little too subtle for me, but I bought a tin, so we'll see... I see no mention at all of their Midnight blend on this site, at all, which after trying it today seems odd. Very smooth, sweet and silky.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
I'm north of Boston, and I was in town and visited the shop last fall. I picked up an ounce each of Boston's Best Cavendish, and Blend 102.
The cavendish is fine, but the Blend 102 is one that I immediately said "I'll buy this again." Just a nice, slightly odd yet appealing old-school aromatic.
I'm trying to figure out what to try on my next visit. I think their Cuban Mixture will be on my list--maybe I'll try the Tashkent as well.

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
I love LJ Peretti. I go there whenever I’m in Boston. I live in western Massachusetts. Big fan of Royal. Tashkent is great too.

I second samw- Oriental 40 may be your next move.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
I tried to hang with Tashkent. I could see why it gets high praise. But I've not been able to warm to English blends as a steady smoke, although I've had many good smokes from various of them. Maybe the closest I've come is Peretti D-7485 -- Peretti itself heaps high praise on this blend, and for good reason. Anyway no accountin for taste.
For me, I'm at home with virginia and virginia/perique flakes.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
also Peretti's Cuban Mix, which reminds me a little of an aromatic.... somehow..... -- terrific billows of smoke, a light smoke yet massively flavorful.

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
I love LJ Peretti. I go there whenever I’m in Boston. I live in western Massachusetts. Big fan of Royal. Tashkent is great too.

I second samw- Oriental 40 may be your next move.

Royal is really their best english blend, simply outstanding.

Reactions: ram74

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Royal is really their best english blend, simply outstanding.
Just ordered another can. Not sure what's going on with the MA tobacco ban regrading pipe tobacco and what will be considered "flavored" but it takes full effect 6/20 so grab your Peretti while you can.

• Angry
Reactions: ram74
Status
Not open for further replies.