First Grabow In 40 Years. I'm Impressed!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I haven't bought a Grabow in decades. The ones I owned always had that hard shiny lacquer and were less than impressive. This new one is a Royal Duke and has a matte finish and is a smooth apple shape. Yes, it has a black bowl coating. This pipe seems well made and has decent grain. If this the low end of pipe manufacturing, it's very impressive for a 35 dollar pipe.
It came with my first tub of Granger so I'm in codger heaven. I don't think this rivals Sutliff Edgeworth match for me but I like it better than PA or Carter Hall.
I'm not in the mood to break in the Grabow this week but I'm looking forward to seeing how it smokes.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I have four Grabows, one a meer lined. They’re good pipes, I just prefer non-filtered pipes.

Edger, I haven’t tried the Sutliff Match Edgeworth, I opted for LLRR instead and now wish I’d picked up the Match. But enjoy that Granger. I’m spoiled by its rough cut. I think it’s the best. Who am I kidding? I like “everything about it!”

Oh, try Medico or the Dr Grabow’s filters. They’re not bad. Try with and without. The pipes smoke just fine either way. Enjoy the new Royal Duke.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
The "Match" is MUCH better than the LLRR in opinion...
I have a small jar of original Edgeworth RR and it’s really tasty. I figured it’s Lane right? Lane using its own recipe! It’s nowhere near it in side by side comparison. LLRR seems tasteless (to me) and at $43 the can plus shipping. There are those here that love it. That’s why we trade around here! Lol Anyone have a Tub of Granger that’s not doing nuthin?

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I haven't bought a Grabow in decades. The ones I owned always had that hard shiny lacquer and were less than impressive. This new one is a Royal Duke and has a matte finish and is a smooth apple shape. Yes, it has a black bowl coating. This pipe seems well made and has decent grain. If this the low end of pipe manufacturing, it's very impressive for a 35 dollar pipe.
It came with my first tub of Granger so I'm in codger heaven. I don't think this rivals Sutliff Edgeworth match for me but I like it better than PA or Carter Hall.
I'm not in the mood to break in the Grabow this week but I'm looking forward to seeing how it smokes.
I love my Grabows...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can smoke Dr. Grabows with no filter or a 6 mm no-filter adaptor as can be used with Savinelli pipes. I highly recommend the Dr. Grabow Royalton series with acrylic stems. For a pipe that can last a lifetime, I think the upgrade, for a few bucks, is worth it. I especially like the shaping on the bulldog version.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
You can smoke Dr. Grabows with no filter or a 6 mm no-filter adaptor as can be used with Savinelli pipes. I highly recommend the Dr. Grabow Royalton series with acrylic stems. For a pipe that can last a lifetime, I think the upgrade, for a few bucks, is worth it. I especially like the shaping on the bulldog version.
I cut a piece of drinking straw that was the same diameter as the filter and cut it to the same length. I don't like filters. The closest I come to a filter is the Carey Magic Inch.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dr. Grabow pipes are made in Sparta, North Carolina, near the Virginia border toward the west. They originated in Chicago. As near as I can tell, Dr. Grabow is the highest volume maker of briar tobacco pipes in the U.S.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I've bought a few over the past ten years and each one has the mortise chewed up by edges on that metal tenon. The ones I bought in the '90s never did that.
I haven't noticed that problem with mine. I my need to take a closer look. The ones I've gotten recently were a bit loose. I gently pushed my pocket knife blade into the slots of the tenon to snug them up.

Reactions: edger and BROBS