PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Got this rusticated Medico Cavalier in a "lot" and tried my hand at restoration [except reaming,that was done already] including a re-finish...If you would let me know what you all think I'd appreciate it.thanks This is the before
WP_0000131.jpg
albums/p521/nightmarejones/WP_000020.jpg[/IMG]
WP_000012.jpg
WP_000023.jpg
and this is the after..
1330.jpg
1329.jpg
1328.jpg
1326.jpg
1325.jpg

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Looking good there ! Try to get some micro mesh and buff up that stem. You'll be amazed !
Besides that tidbit of advice, nice job. That green looks cool. :clap:

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
sry it only let me do the after of the whole pipe here...should be...the rest of the before...
WP_0000131.jpg

WP_000020.jpg

WP_000024.jpg

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
thanks guys micro mesh is gonna be my next purchase.Now that I got a lil stain under my belt that didn't turn into a complete disaster

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
pretty great actually...It only took 2 bowls to break her in but a lil hot after a Half-bowl though

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Nice work, I like the green too and it will really look good with the stem buffed up to a glossy wet black. Staining is fun. I've not messed with any estate pipes yet but I just restained a new sandblast that had alot of red showing. I wanted it to be solid black and I easily got it there. You'll have to repost once you've got that stem brought up to snuff.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Sure thing @bentmike It may be awhile before I get the mesh but I will post more once I do...and probably more before that..lol

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Looking good so far! Did you use an alcohol based stain? If so don't be surprised if the green turns colors after a while. Those I've stained green did,mostly brown with hints of green.

Not sure how old your pipe is but the older ones,and maybe the newer ones still have, a nylon stem.I've found it's best to wet sand them,the nylon will load up your Micro Mesh even quicker than vulcanite will.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Thanks ejames for the heads up.If I still have it and it does turn maybe I'll sand it down and make it a smooth finish

Status
Not open for further replies.