PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
That's coming along nicely! If I'm seeing this correctly the problem is that you have one of the freehand stems that has a ball right after the tenon and the ball is hitting the shoulder of the plateaux so the tenon can't go in...If that's the problem, get a dremel and open up the area so the ball has clearance and the tenon can slide further in. You might want to radius that sharp upper edge of the mortise- kinda prone to cracking when it's that thin...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Good morning ... haven't been up this early in years!

But, your words of encouragement (along with some VERY strong coffee) have made my day already.
As to the stem issue, it is apparent that I needed a steeper angle on the shank.

After much trial and, mostly, error last night it appears I will be cutting the shank down a bit.
For those who commented on the possible loss of skin during this project, the answer is "ouch"!

A co-worker saw my hand and asked me if I was having trouble with those racoons again.
Finish on this one is still up in the air. What you see now is just 220 grit, 400 grit, and a quick buff with jewelers red polish. I will be going back to some low grit now that I can see it better to clean up some angles and try to expose more grain in certain spots. There are a couple small fills that may get rusticated as well.
Thanks again! I'll try to post more photos soon.
Darin

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Outstanding work! As for the bit... Sometimes it's easier to grab a router and a penblick of ebonite or lucite than it is to "make something work"...
But, from what I'm reading, you have that one well in hand.
Only other advice I'd give is it's time to slow down instead of pushing to finish the project. It's always the rush to complete that'll bite you in the arse!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Harris, it's too many meds bruddah!...and speaking of lengthy explanations- you should have seen the look on Greta's face this afternoon when I tried to explain that the 6', 500 lb compressor in Lowes was arriving in our garage at our new house tomorrow...(Honey, is it going to be loud? Oh, no baby,...it's just the sound of money fluttering in the breeze)

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Trailboss ... Too Kind ... Thank you!
Vigil, very true on the rushing. As it got close I was definitely pushing to finish.
Maybe it was the early morning hour or lack of caffeine, but I actually understood Zack. Lol

It was too thin on the top and I had no choice but to cut it back to a thicker section.
Further complications now ... there is a knot right on the bottom of the bowl with some serious cracks.

I have taken a mix of "superglue" and fine briar dust and filled them but it's not pretty. Looks like the bottom and shank will get some rustication.
Thanks again and more pics soon!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Update on this project ...Still working on darkening and rehashing the rustication on the bottom a bit more.
First try at bending a stem too. I used a candle and held it high above the flame.
p1010027-600x325.jpg

p1010028-600x297.jpg

p1010026-600x252.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.