PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
Any advice on buying my first Dunhill estate pipe? The only thing I know is that there a lot of estate Dunhill pipes for sale on-line.
Is one line of Dunhill pipes preferred over another? Should I avoid pipes with the inner tube or doesn't it matter? Looking to spent up to $250 on a group 4 or 5, not looking for any collectors pipe just a good smoker that lives up to the Dunhill name.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Go with the finish you like best. Shells tend to be the least expensive, but occasionally Root or Amber Root can be had for under $250. All Dunhills come with an innertube, but usually they've been lost by the time the pipe is sold on ebay. The main thing is to get a pipe in a shape that you like that is in good condition.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
A Dunhill with a Panel bowl and Cumberland stem, pipe of my dreams(Some Day)...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Al Pascia has some really good prices if you don't mind importing. Dunhill"s like any other pipe are all up to personal aesthetics. Buy the one that speaks to you.
http://www.alpascia.com/pipes/l/Dunhill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't "do" Dunhills, but if I were going to, I'd pay some attention to Forums member foggymountain for his advice. He has about 100 Dunhills, and he has developed clear preferences for some of the lines over the others. You can probably track back on some of his posts related to this on pipe threads or British pipe threads. I think he favors the smooth finishes over the shells, but get it straight from his posts. Also decide if you want a "collector" Dunhill or could tolerate a well made replacement stem, for example, you could get a bigger less worn pipe for you price. I think for $250 you can do very well indeed. It may be my imagination, but it seems to me that the market has softened somewhat in Dunhill estates. They're still expensive, but everyone doesn't expect $400 for anything with a Dunhill stamp. Maybe you'll show us the prize when you find it!

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
I was familiar with Al Pascia mainly looking at their Ser Jacopo pipes, never bothered to check out their Dunhills. Wow, huge selection and great prices.
What got me interested in British pipes was the idea of purchasing a few English made estate pipes to dedicate to Latakia blends. I smoke Latakia infrequently and didn't want it to ghost my other pipes. English pipes for English blends seemed to make sense. I found a bargain Comoy on-line and it smokes great. Different than my Stanwells and Sav's, much lighter and great draw.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
On Ebay, thesecondhandsmoker (Gary) always has a nice selection of estate Dunhills at many price levels. He is a stand-up guy and I would not hesitate to do business with him. I tend not to trust estate Dunhills unless I know the seller - lots of shenanigans on the bay with those pipes. He has a lot of "buy it now" with best offers accepted - and he does accept reasonable offers on his pipes.
You should not have a problem finding something in the Shell Brier line at your price point. You can always remove the innertube if it comes with the pipe - personal preference honestly.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've bought an sold maybe 75 Dunhills by way of Ebay. My advice is buy only from the blue chip sellers. You'll pay a premium, but you'll get exactly what you paid for. Every time I've gone a less expensive route I've regreted it. I very highly recommend TREASUREPIPES.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
None of the new Dunhill's I've bought had an innertube.
Really!? The one I bought this spring had one. And the ones I've looked at on Al Pascia have had them in the pics. Did you buy from a regular retailer?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It sure would, mcitinner. Wink, wink. Or as a guest on the radio show, come to think of it.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I have purchased some Group 6 Dunhills from Mike at Briar Blus and from Smokingpipes.com and they both arrived promptly in like-new condition. Buying new from Alpascia is a great idea when the exchange rate works in your favor, and you literally get the pipe in your hands in less than 48 hours (at least, that is my repeated experience with them). As Nate said, stick with the blue chip sellers on eBay and you should have a good experience.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
You'd have a hard time finding a healthy Gp4 or Gp5 in ready-to-smoke condition for the price you mentioned from the major online retailers.

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
You'd have a hard time finding a healthy Gp4 or Gp5 in ready-to-smoke condition for the price you mentioned from the major online retailers.
What would be a reasonable price?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Based on SPC pricing in the two finishes I own and like ( Shell and Bruyere ), and assuming no silver or gold adornments. Gp 4 $275 and $350 respectively, Gp 5 $325 and $400 respectively. Remember, these pipes new go for $600 and up.

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
I've started reading up a bit on Dunhils and see that they started with thin bits on their stems, switched over to a thicker bit in 1976 and then switched back to a bit that was in-between the two. Any opinions on that? The little Comoy sandblast 532 I have has a thinner bit, is that typical of English pipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.