PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
What's listed on the tin is what you're supposed to notice. The tin description isn't an ingredients list right? But more what they're advertising.
I guess, but sometimes it'll be just a smidge that we're not supposed to notice.

My point is that the same leaf can taste completely different, or the complexity of it may be lost in a blend so don't alienate yourself to certain blends just because straight perique didn't taste good, or virginia by itself was too boring and so on.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I guess, but sometimes it'll be just a smidge that we're not supposed to notice.

My point is that the same leaf can taste completely different, or the complexity of it may be lost in a blend so don't alienate yourself to certain blends just because straight perique didn't taste good, or virginia by itself was too boring and so on.
I totally agree with everything you said. Just added in a little thing that people don't realize at first. And another one you'll probably agree with is how each type of leaf has so many different varieties that it strips a bit of the definition out of each term. Heck even with Va from the same plant there are so many different colors depending on how far up or down the stalk that leaf grew. Then how many different strains of brightleaf are there? Too many for one person to know for sure.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I totally agree with everything you said. Just added in a little thing that people don't realize at first. And another one you'll probably agree with is how each type of leaf has so many different varieties that it strips a bit of the definition out of each term. Heck even with Va from the same plant there are so many different colors depending on how far up or down the stalk that leaf grew. Then how many different strains of brightleaf are there? Too many for one person to know for sure.
Absolutely, it's also totally worth it, and I enjoy my straight Virginias a great deal.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Good point. I just wanted to state that component leaf is sometime used as something you're not supposed to notice. Like Burley giving body to a blend.

So while they may taste a certain way smoked by themselves, the leaf really starts making magic when mixed with other leaf.
I think this is why I've been relying on reviews so far. Not knowing all the characteristics of each type of leaf puts me somewhat in the dark, but getting the perspective of others is a good starting point.
That's the orientals.
If you're liking Black Frigate, you've found one non aro to like, possibly even being a Virginia/Oriental fan.
I actually liked the spiciness. It's the floral that I found overwhelming.

Saying that BF isn't an aro, has me a bit confused. How can something so "flowery" not be an aromatic?

To the comments on how a particular varietal may not stand out on it's own, but when combined in a "recipe" it may lose it's base quality, and become a distinctive benefit is so true. No different than certain ingredients in food. I hate cumin, but when applied to a recipe, it's the "magic" ingredient.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Saying that BF isn't an aro, has me a bit confused. How can something so "flowery" not be an aromatic?
Orientals can be that way and at one point latakia and Orientals were indeed called aromatic tobaccos but now it is solely the flavored ones that bear that moniker. Rum can be an aromatic when used as a casing, but like many non aromatic Navy blends that use rum, the tobaccos are soaked in rum and pressed and used as an accent rather than a main flavoring. Many like Watch City Slices, Redburn, Blockade Runner, etc. use rum and avoid being aromatics.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Orientals can be that way and at one point latakia and Orientals were indeed called aromatic tobaccos but now it is solely the flavored ones that bear that moniker. Rum can be an aromatic when used as a casing, but like many non aromatic Navy blends that use rum, the tobaccos are soaked in rum and pressed and used as an accent rather than a main flavoring. Many like Watch City Slices, Redburn, Blockade Runner, etc. use rum and avoid being aromatics.
I notice that the BF is called "other". Being so floral, would it be considered a Lakeland essence? From what I've read about Lakelands, that seems to be the common element to them.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Not even in the same ballpark as a lakeland. Those are strong.
I laughed when I read this ?. I'm going to have to reconsider trying a Lakeland, if compared to the BF, they are strong, that puts things in a totally new perspective!

When I tried the BF last night, I let it dry out pretty well. Considering your "passion" for BF, would you recommend it as a morning smoke, or evening?

With those being my only two choices and daytime temps at or over 100°, I don't want to be distracted trying to stay cool while also trying to enjoy, or in this case, get a taste for, an hour long smoke.