Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
These Dagner’s are pretty slick as far as cobs go! Aesthetically pretty much perfect for me. However, a couple of issues were immediately apparent:

00847748-AE32-468F-A342-EE58E03BE914.jpeg
The shank band wasn’t glued on, like at all.

90BE9551-F584-4C36-B91F-AA2B113387ED.jpeg
Most concerning, the draft hole was completely blocked with material. I used the pick on a Czech tool to chisel my way through to the chamber and then blew out the dusty chunks. Now that there’s an airway, albeit a ragged one, the draw is wide open.

I’m confident that this will smoke well, and it’s still a cool pipe, but I did want to point out the construction issues, in case anyone is thinking about picking up their first one. These problems are relatively minor and took 3 minutes to fix, so no big deal on my end.

I know cobs are billed as good beginner pipes, so for any new pipe smokers, if you get one like mine and you’re handy with a drill bit and some glue, these things can be easily remedied and shouldn’t be too much of a stumbling block on the road to having a solid pipe.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
That's pretty normal for MM cobs, TBH. The ferrule is never glued on and I have had to clean out the wood fuzz and splinters from the draft hole with a drill bit in about 75% of them that I've bought. I still like them though.
I would honestly expect better, but they’re cheap ?‍♂️ Glad to hear that yours have still smoked well. I’m anxious to try this one out later.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
For loose ferrules, dip the end of the shank in water for a few seconds and press the ferrule back on. I've got one of the Dagners but the small size and acrylic stem put it in the look at only pile. On both of their reverse calabash pipes that I have, no quality issues were found.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Quote "That's pretty normal for MM cobs, TBH. The ferrule is never glued on and I have had to clean out the wood fuzz and splinters from the draft hole with a drill bit in about 75% of them that I've bought."

All these problems and yet we never hear of them
:rolleyes:,Petersons though
yes I know price etc

Reactions: BROBS and FurCoat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really like the MM cobs special editions with the acrylic stems because the stems wear so well and the chambers are big. I have three or four, including the Dagner, and haven't had any problems yet. It's effortless pipe smoking when things are in proper shape.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I really like the MM cobs special editions with the acrylic stems because the stems wear so well and the chambers are big. I have three or four, including the Dagner, and haven't had any problems yet. It's effortless pipe smoking when things are in proper shape.
now that I can actually draw air through it, and it doesn’t feel like it’s going to fall apart, effortless seems a pretty good description. Draw is WIDE open, and the mortise/tenon fit is actually really good.